Talk

Advanced search

4 week old feeding every 2 hours for 15 mins max

(6 Posts)
OrangeGloss Tue 27-Sep-11 06:59:39

He'd just started feeding for at least 20 mins and sleeping up to 3 hours, but now seems to have regressed.

He'll feed for 15 mins max and refuse more, even if I top and tail him to wake him. It just started last night, but he's had a cold and just getting over the snuffles.

Could it be a growth spurt? I'm worried he isn't getting the hind milk, hence the regular snacking :s

CitizenOscar Tue 27-Sep-11 07:27:34

If it only started last night, I'd try to relax and not worry too much. He could be extra hungry, he could be thirsty (eg if it's been warmer today), he could be growing.

Is he generally feeding & gaining weight etc?

I'm not an expert and it could be worth a call to nct/la leche league helplines to see what they say. Or to the hv if you like/trust yours.

My DS (now 14 weeks) has gone through various different patterns of feeding/sleeping and I've tried not to worry as he's been healthy & growing - he seems to know what he needs.

Have you tried the kellymom website? Iirc it's got good info re fore/hindmilk and other things like that.

Hth.

tiktok Tue 27-Sep-11 07:42:18

Excellent suggestion to read kellymom on foremilk/hindmilk.

Orange, there's normally no need to worry about baby's 'getting' the hindmilk. It does not work that way - babies don't need to 'drill down' to it, and the majority of healthy babies are capable of getting what they need in the way of milk and don't need to be woken or otherwise encouraged to stay on.

It's not a 'regresssion' to feed 2 hourly and 15 mins a time. Babies change all the time, day to day, and no baby in the world ever makes a standard, linear 'progress' . 2hourly feeds, 15 mins, are well within normal, and it may have nothing to do with his recent cold. Yes it could well be linked with a need to take in more milk for his growing needs.

No need to fight it, is what I am suggesting smile

tiktok Tue 27-Sep-11 07:43:20

baby's = babies

OrangeGloss Tue 27-Sep-11 22:44:33

Thanks that makes a lot of sense, I'll just try and go with it. Hopefully it won't be for too long, as he doesn't seem to want to go down so it's exhausting :/

Suzihaha Tue 27-Sep-11 22:47:59

Sounds like a growth spurt to me. There;s normally one between 4-6 weeks iirc.

DS2 started off feeding every 2-3 hours, then moved to every 1.5-2hours after a few weeks. Then it went back to 3 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now