Talk

Advanced search

Please, no, not again. 4th bout of mastitis!

(4 Posts)
Midori1999 Mon 26-Sep-11 10:11:15

My DD is 3 months old. I had mastitis three times early on, I wasn't sure of the cause, but I now suspect engorgement (I had oversupply). I had antibitoics twice and the third time self help measures as soon as I felt ill got rid of it.

Recently, DD has started sleeping through some nights from around 8pm until 5am. (other nights she wakes once between 11pm and 2am) Great for my sleep, but I am waking up engorged. I usually express before I go to bed as I am hoping to start as a milk donor as soon as they sort out all the testing etc. and I 'empty' both sides. (I also express every morning) If DD does wake before 5 am, I always feed her from my left side.

Yesterday my left breast started feeling tender. This morning it is rock hard and very painful. I feel ill, headache, achey limbs, but don't seem to have a temperature this time.

I'm assuming it's mastitis again. I'm going to try self help measures before the GP as I want to avoid antibiotics if I can. I know my supply will even out if DD keeps sleeping through regularly, but is there anything else I can do to help avoid this again? I am really committed to BF, but I can't deny this is upsetting me. Why can't things be simple? sad

jollyjester Mon 26-Sep-11 13:53:38

Hi I can't really offer any advise cause I'm new to this myself, DD is only 4 weeks so were still getting used to it all.

I just didn't want your post to go unanswered. I hope you get things evened out!! Big Hugs!!

TheBluthCompany Mon 26-Sep-11 14:46:44

I've had mastitis many times - I lost count a while ago at 10 and DS is 7 months. Now I know the very early stages and usually get rid of it pretty quick.

From everything I've read I think what I get is the more common non-infectious mastitis. Basically milk leaks into the breast tissue from the ducts and your body then mounts an immune response to this milk. It is not actually infected, but can easily become infected. There's lots of stuff on this online.

I find that if I get quite full (I've also had oversupply) I have to be very careful not to squash or knock my boobs. You might find that in a month or so your hormones settle and you'll stop getting it - I certainly get it less than I did.

Not sure how any of that helps you - except to say you're not alone!! some women are just more predisposed to it than others. Donating milk is a great thing to do, and as you say, your body will adjust, but I'm put off donating because I just dont want any extra milk incase I get more mastitis!

Good luck.

Midori1999 Mon 26-Sep-11 19:32:14

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The hot and cold sweats have started again now. sad luckily DH has done everything since coming in from work so I only have to feed the baby. I'm taking myself off for a bubble bath when she's finished this feed.

I actually did knock myself yesterday. I banged my arm really hard on the door frame going into the bedroom and it's bruised and painful. I have quite large breasts, so I probably knocked my arm into my breast, if that makes sense?

Hopefully this is the last time...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now