Talk

Advanced search

Windy DD - should I change her formula

(13 Posts)
Pudding2be Mon 26-Sep-11 08:36:04

My 4 WO DD suffers with terrible wind. She seems to constantly wriggle to shift it, no matter how much I wind her. Quite often she does it all night long and nothing I do can help her shift it. Ive tried Infacol and Dentinox drops but they dont seem to work. Ive even tried small amounts of cooled boiled water

I feed her SMA, and I have the Avent Anti Colic bottles.

I was thinking I might need to change her formula, does anyone have any experiance of this?

MollyTheMole Mon 26-Sep-11 09:17:34

hmm tbh Id be a bit reluctant to change her formula only because it might make her even worse. DS was on Aptamil and had terrible wind and colic and I tried those Avent bottles and thought they were gash, have you tried Dr Brown bottles? They are a bit more expensive but they worked a treat (they are a bit of a faff to clean also but we do what we must!)

We also sometimes used Colief which seemed to help alot with the wind aswell as his general colickyness, oh and gripe water just before a feed but cant remember what age you can use it from.....

Nevercan Mon 26-Sep-11 09:20:47

I think all babies get windy on all formulas. It is their digestion getting going. I use SMA but in my case infacol did the trick. Have you given it to baby prior to giving the milk?

ThisIsYourSong Mon 26-Sep-11 09:24:41

We never used a different formula but you could try one of the comfort milks. I always thought Aptamil was the best but that could just be a marketing thing!

As far as I'm aware, the best bottles for wind/feeding problems are Dr Browns, and MAM teats are supposed to be good but they don't do the really slow ones, not sure if you are still using those.

My DS had terrible terrible wind too, it just seemed to keep coming no matter what we tried, and we finally tracked it down to having a posterior tongue tie. This is more commonly noted in breastfed babies as it causes feeding pain. Have a read here and see if any of it sounds familiar:
milkmatters.org.uk/2011/04/15/hidden-cause-of-feeding-problems-however-you-feed-your-baby/

If it does I'd really push to have it looked at/snipped as it made a huge difference to the levels of wind.

Hope you get it sorted soon so you can stop pacing the house with a restless baby (as I am sure you do!).

buttonmoon78 Mon 26-Sep-11 11:10:55

DS was on Cow and Gate. Since moving him to Aptamil he has been less windy. Also those Dr Browns bottles have been wonderful. I found Tesco are the cheapest for them - £10.50 for a double pack is what we paid on Saturday. I also found infacol helped (but not so much anymore - ds is 10wo).

Try one thing at a time otherwise you won't know what is helping and you'll be too frightened to drop something!

tethersend Mon 26-Sep-11 11:15:46

Move her onto Aptamil easy digest or Cow and gate comfort.

I did this with windy DD when she was tiny, and also switched to Dr. Brown's bottles. Miraculous change.

mummy22gorgeousboys Mon 26-Sep-11 13:49:25

Hi,

I had the same problem with my DS2, now 12 weeks old.

We tried SMA Gold, Aptimil First, Aptimil Comfort, and Aptimil Hungry.

The best we found was Hipp Organic, and it's one of the cheapest too, he's still on it.

Wind eased within a day or so and he wasn't as gripey or uncomfortable. And it completely stopped within a week. We did use gripe water when he was about a month old, he didn't like it at all but it did help a little.

The Comfort milk made DS2 smell toxic - I don't know what it does exactly but his nappies were atrocious and in my opinion it didn't seem to make any difference.

We use Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles.

We also cradle him to feed him with him lying relatively flat rather than sitting upright, and when he's finished his feed we lift him upright to wind and the burps seem to come up instantly.

Let us know how you get on!

Good Luck

AnotherJaffaCake Mon 26-Sep-11 14:11:22

I agree with the pp, Hipp Organic was the only formula that agreed with
DS's tummy. We'd tried SMA Gold before and he would bring it back up. The Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles were really good too.

Pudding2be Mon 26-Sep-11 16:56:40

Thanks for the great advice. I've got Dr Brown bottles today, so I'll see how she gets on. If it doesn't help I'll see if it's her formula

Funny you should mention tongue tie, Thisisyoursong, I noticed the other day she has this. When I spoke to the HV she never made the link between the two. If she doesn't get any better then I'll have it snipped.

Her next feed will be in about 2 hours, fingers crossed the new bottles work!

Pudding2be Tue 27-Sep-11 07:32:35

What a difference the bottles have made. She is no where near as windy, it comes up much more easier now. And during her niggly time (6pm to 8pm) she is much calmer

I can't believe what a little piece of plastic can do.

A big thanks everyone

buttonmoon78 Tue 27-Sep-11 07:49:09

I know! confused but if it works who are we to question why! Glad there's an improvement.

MollyTheMole Tue 27-Sep-11 09:55:22

great news Pudding smile

ThisIsYourSong Wed 28-Sep-11 10:46:33

Yes great news, I don't know who Dr Brown is but he deserves the thanks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now