Talk

Advanced search

Switching to formula during day when return to work-which formula to use?

(3 Posts)
owainsmum Mon 26-Sep-11 07:46:15

Hi ladies,

my DS is currently 8 months and I'm going back to work in 2 months time. He is exclusively breast fed and I was originally thinking about expressing milk to send to nursery with him, but I really don't think I'll have enough to express, and then I would be spending evenings after work expressing etc etc... So I'm going to wean DS onto formula for his 2 daytime feeds and still BF for morning, bedtime and night feeds (unless he's sleeping through by then!). Can anyone recommend a brand of formula that BF babies take to relatively easily, or is it just down to the individual baby's preference? I also have no idea how much formula to give in a feed because I have only ever BF so please can someone tell me how much a 18lb baby on 3 big meals a day needs per milk feed.

Thanks smile

Seona1973 Mon 26-Sep-11 08:24:04

by 10 months he may no longer need 2 daytime milk feeds. DS was on 3 feeds a day by then and dropped to 2 feeds by 11 months (am and pm). Formulas are much of a muchness so you could maybe get a few individual cartons and see which one he likes best - I think the cartons are about 7oz and ds took about 6/7oz per feed at that stage.

trixie123 Mon 26-Sep-11 15:07:09

I used SMA with DS but DD has found it too rich and was VERY sicky and constipated so I swapped her onto Cow and Gate . The downside is that because its 'thinner' she has started sleeping for less time at night. There are differences but its trial and error really. DS had a 8oz morning and evening bottle at 10 months. We started to replace the bottles with cups at around 1 year, the morning one first then the evening one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now