Talk

Advanced search

please help

(7 Posts)
bakingqueen Sun 25-Sep-11 14:00:47

My ds is 13 weeks old has x5 formula feeds during day with x2 breast feeds during day and only breast feed at night. Want to increase to three breast feeds in the day and to get him to take more have I left it too late or is it possible to increase supply. Also he is fussing on the breast feeding for less time and keeps coming off after a few sucks and takes ages to go back on and he is smiling at me cooing and eating his fingers. Does thie mean he is not intrested in breast milk now sorry so many questuons just feeling a bit lost with it all.

Tryharder Sun 25-Sep-11 14:11:13

I think ultimately you would need to reduce the amount of formula you give and increase the number of times the baby breastfeeds. Which would mean feeding very, very often on demand and using techniques like switch feeding to increase your supply.

I would seek the advise of a RL bf counsellor if I were you as obviously I don't think you should cut the amount of formula your baby has without supervision.

Tryharder Sun 25-Sep-11 14:12:51

Sorry, should have said that the feeding for less time is probably a sign that your baby is becoming much more efficient at feeding not that your supply has decreased.

bakingqueen Sun 25-Sep-11 14:35:10

Thanks what is switch feeding?
Not sure I can drop formula feeds as he already down on his centiles just want to suppliment more with breast milk

MavisG Sun 25-Sep-11 14:44:39

Switch feeding is swapping breasts often, it stimulates supply. Could you breastfeed before each formula feed, and have lots and lots of skin-to-skin contact, e.g. have him naked/in just nappy in a sling on your bare (at home!) or low-cut-topped chest? Bathe together, sleep naked together - I sound obsessed with nudity but this really ups supply. Second the advice to find a breast feeding counsellor in real life - La Leche League were a godsend to me, even just on the phone.
Good luck.

bakingqueen Sun 25-Sep-11 14:58:10

Switch during the feed do you mean so a few sucks on one side then change? Will try more skin skin also thanks

MavisG Sun 25-Sep-11 19:26:28

La Leche League define it as:

"switch nursing" that is, switching breasts two or three times during each feeding. Switch breasts when baby's sucking slows down and he swallows less often.

There's lots of information here: www.llli.org/faq/increase.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now