Talk

Advanced search

Please help...newborn feeding cups?

(12 Posts)
Annie456 Sat 24-Sep-11 17:35:39

Hi all,
I'm in a bit of a state with one nipple so cracked, raw and bleeding that I can't physically feed DS (2 weeks old) from it.

The midwife today suggested expressing and using a feeding cup but neither boots or mothercare sell them. I tried a nipple shield but it just filled with blood and it lasted 5 seconds before I had to take the baby off abs switch to the other side (which causes no pain)

Can I improvise with a feeding cup? I don't want to give a bottle at this stage but I need to somehow express milk without the baby coming into contact with that breast until it has healed. I dont think it's an attachment issue as it doesn't hurt after the first 5 minutes when there is less milk.

Really don't know what to do for the best but I am determined to continue BF even if I cry everytime.
X

heather1 Sat 24-Sep-11 17:41:10

Hi could you try a doidy cup? http://doidycups.com/
Maybe ask you local La Leche league or nct too. They are usually excellent with breastfeeding advice.
Just wanted to say well done for continuing to persevere with the BF. I found it really painful in the early days but it does settle down.

posterofaquiche Sat 24-Sep-11 17:46:31

I got mine from the hospital and I think I still have one or two I could send you if it would help?

Annie456 Sat 24-Sep-11 17:56:04

The hospital didn't have any when I was there this morning. I'm just a bit stressed about what I can do right now to get him drinking the milk from that side so I don't get engorged but without undoing all the work I've done getting BF established. I'm hoping that by the time I can get the cups through the post the cracks will have healed enough for me to be feeding again...I just need an immediate short term solution. Can I improvise a cup from anything?

I do go to a Bf cafe but they have said the latch looks fine...I don't see how it can be? I'm only a few days away from having to shell out £150 for a private lactation consultant appointment. I can't really afford that but desperate to try anything...

RufflesKerfluffles Sat 24-Sep-11 18:56:30

A feeding cup or similar is probably easiest, but we had to improvise- my DH exclusively fed DS for a couple of days when he was a newborn just using the bottle cap which came with my Medela Swing. I've heard an egg cup or a shot glass might be suitable too.

RufflesKerfluffles Sat 24-Sep-11 19:00:46

Didn't explain - easiest because they're lipped and the side is more shallow than other cups. But as I said, it's doable without.

BertieBotts Sat 24-Sep-11 19:01:07

You could just hand express into a towel or something, if that would be easier. It doesn't matter whether he drinks it, the important thing is to remove the milk so you don't get engorged. Even if supply does drop on that side, don't panic, it will be possible to get it back again.

Have you seen the silver nipple healing cups? They are supposed to be the absolute best thing for healing cracks. www.breastfeedingheaven.co.uk/http-//www-breastfeedingheaven-co-uk/breastfeeding-products/silverette-healing-cups/prod-138-html/prod_138.html I haven't used them myself but seen people on here say they have healed bad nipples in 24 hours.

RitaMorgan Sat 24-Sep-11 19:03:25

Are the people at the bf cafe qualified bf counsellors or just peer supporters? Maybe try calling the NCT or La Leche League and see if they have anyone locally you could see for free.

Annie456 Sun 25-Sep-11 11:35:08

Cup feeding was a disaster and we both got so stressed that we had to give a bottle of breastmilk in the end. I felt terrible but there's no way I can put him on that side at the moment. DH has contacted a private feeding consultant so I hope she can come out in the next couple of days to help me work out what's going wrong. Desperately hope it works out and I can keep BF...
Thanks for all your advice.

SpannerPants Sun 25-Sep-11 12:08:58

my DS wouldn't feed from a cup so I expressed and syringe fed him for 3 days until I could get him to latch on. Pharmacies have oral syringes to use for babies, they have a purple plunger and come apart easily for cleaning.

BertieBotts Sun 25-Sep-11 13:02:54

Don't feel bad, Annie, your DS got fed, and there's no guarantee of nipple confusion by giving a bottle - many babies have bottles in the early days and switch back with no trouble at all.

Hope you have some luck with the feeding consultant. Also try contacting La Leche League, they are extremely knowledgeable in my experience. Click on "Local groups" at the side or just phone the national helpline (also on the site) laleche.org.uk/

AyeWhySWIM Sun 25-Sep-11 15:15:53

Just wanted to wish you well and say it is possible to get through this. When ds was about 6wks I was in pretty much the same boat - had excruciating deep tissue thrush which resulted in a poor latch on one side which led to terrible cracks in the nipple. I couldn't feed from that side for a few days - just expressed when possible which was less painful - and fed predominantly from the other side. Like you I was so determined not to give up and am here now with 5 month ds breastfeeding happily and it is so easy and a pleasure to do. Well worth the days and nights where I was just getting through from one feed to the next. I found that diligently cleaning with water and applying lansinoh very regularly helped pretty quickly when I was resting that side. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now