Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone seen my milk?!

(13 Posts)
lionmummy Sat 24-Sep-11 17:05:20

DD3 born on Wednesday night but milk has yet to arrive and she is very hungry. I am putting her on the breast every 2 hours and have given some ff today.
Sure it had arrived by now for my other dcs and was very obvious when it had 'arrived'. Any advice or thoughts on bringing it on - thank you!

thisisyesterday Sat 24-Sep-11 17:07:28

feed feed feed

every time she whimpers. the more often she goes on the breast the more she will stimulate it to produce milk. and she'll be getting colostrum, which is all she needs right now.

if you start giving formula, or making her wait 2 hours between feeds you risk your body thinking it doesn't need to make any.... so just keep on keeping on and it should arrive soon!

mine didn't come in until about day 4 with each of mine, by which time they were frantic and feeding every half an hour lol

thisisyesterday Sat 24-Sep-11 17:07:44

congrats btw!

lionmummy Sat 24-Sep-11 17:12:54

Thanks! Am hoping to wake up in the morning with udders. I'll get feeding.

thisisyesterday Sat 24-Sep-11 17:14:36

grin

get yourself sat on the sofa with a nice dvd on and tea and biscuits to hand! tis a great excuse to just sit around in the early days lol

Imnotaslimjim Sat 24-Sep-11 17:32:44

Congratulations! Keep baby as close as you can for as long as you can. The skin to skin contact is the best thing for you both right now. I bet by morning you'll be complaining they're too full!

organiccarrotcake Sat 24-Sep-11 18:36:22

Congrats!

Are you comfortable feeding or are you getting any nipple discomfort? Can you see swallowing? What's the nappy output like (wee and poo?) What does the latch look like to you?

You might not get an obvious milk-in sensation. But you should be seeing the swallowing and the nappy output.

thisisyesterday Sun 25-Sep-11 10:42:59

hi lionmummy how is it going today?

lionmummy Sun 25-Sep-11 21:30:39

Hi THisisYesterday, I followed your advice and have just fed seemingly constantly. There has still been no milk in sensation, no tingling or let down but I seem to be producing milk - plenty of nappies to change today, so I think Organic is right. The midwife also came today and dd3 has only lost a tiny amount of birthweight so I need to have confidence that the 'udders' feeling may not happen ths time around but I can still do it. Thanks for the advice.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 25-Sep-11 21:32:05

If a baby is feeding well, you can skip the 'udders' feeling, because your boobs never actually get full.

ShowOfHands Sun 25-Sep-11 21:37:54

With dd I had the hot, engorged, rock hard, leaking thing.

This time (ds is 3wo), my milk came in with no pain or engorgement. He lost a couple of ounces and has gained 2lbs already. I assume he's just more efficient than dd. No engorged breasts and v v little leaking.

thisisyesterday Sun 25-Sep-11 21:49:42

that's great lion. glad all is going well smile

organiccarrotcake Sun 25-Sep-11 21:54:52

Hurrah! How exciting!!! I'm really chuffed for you smile Well done for keeping the faith and carrying on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now