Talk

Advanced search

EBF 6.5mo refuses to have a bottle (despite having one a day from week 5)

(7 Posts)
eversoslightlytired Fri 23-Sep-11 23:19:12

DD, who has been having one bottle a day since 5 weeks, has suddenly started refusing a bottle, even refusing to even put the bottle in her mouth. She has no interest in solids either. I am due to go back to work in November and obviously she will need to be bottle fed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to have a bottle (I have tried various bottles and teats btw).

Any advice would be gratefully received!

PenguinArmy Fri 23-Sep-11 23:28:12

you can explore a few different cup options (open, valved or free-flow)

It isn't uncommon for babies to do without milk during the working day from 6/7 months (some babies go that long at night time) although of course reverse cycling can occur. Just saying it's not the be all and end all and 6 weeks is still considerable time for some solids to start impacting.

lilham Sat 24-Sep-11 02:19:49

OP you have my sympathy. My DD started refusing from 4mo after taking a bottle or 2 since 4wo. sad She wasn't interested in solids until just 2 days ago, after a weak of weaning. She's 6mo. Im going back to work to in November so I'm anxious about her having solids and praying she'll take formula at the nursery. I've given up on me giving the bottle because there's no way she'll want a bottle with me around. I know she'll behave differently at the nursery. As for solids, are you doing purees or blw? Try both and you might find she prefers one way over another. Good luck.

lilham Sat 24-Sep-11 02:20:23

I mean a bottle or two a week.

TheSkiingGardener Sat 24-Sep-11 05:14:05

Is she teething? When DS was teething he would sometimes hate putting anything in his mouth for a while. It would usually only last a few days though.

eversoslightlytired Sat 24-Sep-11 17:11:14

Hi all. Yes she is teething and now has a horrendous cold. I have tried purees and BLW. The only thing she will have at the moment is jars of porridge! She does have a go at things like bread and cheese spread, bread sticks and rich tea biscuits but I really dont know what else to give her as finger food (any suggestions?).

I think I am going to ask my mum to have her for a morning without me there and see whether she will take a bottle then.

I have tried cups and bottles but she just will not let me put it in her mouth. Do you suggest to keep trying every day or to leave it for a while and hope that in a weeks or so she will take the bottle again?

TheSkiingGardener Sat 24-Sep-11 17:31:33

DS loved fruit bread, weetabix, rice cakes, toast, banana. Just keep offering.

When he was teething though, all bets were off. Everything seemed to cause some pain and he would go right off everything. Giving him teething gel just before eating helped as it numbed his gums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now