Talk

Advanced search

nine month old breastfed baby vomiting feeds

(7 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Fri 23-Sep-11 20:19:28

hi,

My baby has had a bug/cold since last week. He's been to the gp and she said he is fine, alert, no signs of ear infection but the vomiting is probably snot collecting in his stomach and irritating him so that's why he's vomiting.

My question is, he's only vomiting evening feeds and he is happy as larry afterwards, playing, racing around on all fours, smiling so I am not massively worried about him but I am worried that he isn't getting enough to eat or might be dehydrated.

He is off solids, mostly refusing all food but having big feeds which he vomits. Is he still getting some nutritioon from the feeds? He does wake me in the night for a feed but it can be 8 hours without one. Should I just keep feeding him and just put up with the vomit. He has had a bit of water too.

DuelingFanjo Fri 23-Sep-11 20:22:49

or should I try to give him small feeds rather than letting him feed for ages?

DuelingFanjo Sat 24-Sep-11 16:06:31

hopeful bump. Just had a big feed and was hoping he would have is afternoon nap and he's just been sick again, all over the bed again. He has been gulping and burping all day but has once again been full of beans and seems ok now.

Do I just keep feeding him and accept that at least one feed a day is going to end up all over me with no harmful effects for him?

Napdamnyou Sat 24-Sep-11 20:50:16

Hi
you cosleep don't you? I guess if he is hungry he will cry or fuss and wake you. I think babies are fairly self regulating and if he seems cheery and is pooing weeing normally and dashing about, he's ok. He's probably not puking it all up either: spill an inch of coffee from a mug and it looks like a flood...

silkenladder Sun 25-Sep-11 07:52:45

Is he vomiting immediately after the feed? I read somewhere that bm is absorbed so quickly that even after 10 min they will have got some nutrition from it.

DuelingFanjo Sun 25-Sep-11 15:35:41

thank you for the replies.

He is feeding ok at night but has, again, just vomited after a feed. Basically I fed him, he didn't want to sleep so he was moving about on the bed and then vomited. Yet another sheet change. We co-sleep, yes, so it's hard. When I feed him at night I can hear him burping and gulping and am always scared he's going to vomit again.

I am offering him water after he vomits.

Is this just likely to be the snot still? He still has a fairly snotty nose.

I knew the vomit would be the bit I would hate most about having a baby sad

Napdamnyou Sun 25-Sep-11 16:45:46

Can you sleep on a few towels for a bit? And maybe try breaking up the evening feed with walking around upright in your arms and assiduous burping? I guess if you feed to sleep it could be a bit of a faff but breaking it up to let it go down in stages might help. Also steamy baths together, a humidifier at night and removing snot with one of those baby suction things...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now