Talk

Advanced search

Newborn growth spurt at 12do - how long will it last?

(4 Posts)
titferbrains Fri 23-Sep-11 18:35:10

He fed for about 3 or 4 hours quite intensively last night and has fed an awful lot today also. feeling overwhelmed as tiredness kicking in, 3yo dd getting on my nerves, baby cries when put down. Hv here this morning, and ds has lost a bout 70g, tho was weighed with nappy on the first time (why??) and he is doing lots of wees and poos. Just want bfing to go smoothly and to not feel my mother mentally willing bottles on me/him.

Fiolondon Fri 23-Sep-11 19:48:03

You poor thing! I remember the growth spurt thing very well and am glad that's over! Don't worry it will pass soon, just hang in there. It seems to work that they feed a lot and are grumpy while they 'call' the milk in for the next day. It get's your supply up, then they sate themselves so will feed a lot again but be a bit less grumpy. Then they will sleep and your boobs will maybe be like rocks! So have the ibuprofen and paracetamol to hand just in case and hand express a little bit in a warm bath to avoid any mastitis probs. Good luck

crochetcircle Sat 24-Sep-11 07:03:39

I remember this too - mine lasted less than 24 hours, but I was completely exhausted at the end! You need endless cups of tea, fruit, chocs etc make sure someone's helping you keep your energy and liquids up.
Later growth spurts I found lasted longer, but I was better prepared so it was not as hard.
You're doing well!

Fiolondon Sat 24-Sep-11 07:33:11

Forgot to say that the weight issue could easily be due to the nappy and/or different scales. See what happens at the next weigh-in but keep an eye to see that the baby appears healthy/happy. With a toddler on the go it is really tricky getting time to sit and feed for long enough in the early days - they do get quicker and more efficient. could your mum help out with your older child? I also found second time that one of those soft fabric slings was great (or a piece of lycra fabric 0.7m by 5m) for keeping no.2 happy and not crying while letting you have hands free for other things. I'm not into baby wearing all the time but I definitely found some benefits in the early months when learning to juggle 2 kids!

I take it that you bottle fed your first? If so bf will be a bit of a shock in terms of the emotional aspects in relation to the work of feeding and whether you are "doing it right". It sounds like you are getting on fine and dealing with the first growth spurt with the same shock as most people! If there is a breastfeeding support group near you it might help to POP along. I found mine (and the support from other mums who I'm still friends with) invaluable.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now