Talk

Advanced search

Giving BF a go, nine days in and have a few questions

(13 Posts)
CBear6 Fri 23-Sep-11 17:51:13

I had DD last Wednesday by EMCS. I went in for an ECv which was a no-go and it was decided it was too risky to make me wait another few days for an ELCS slot so an hour later I was in theatre. It was all really fast and a bit overwhelming because I wasn't expecting it to pan out that way. I had a massive wobble in the recovery room that DD might not feel like "mine" because a surgeon brought her into the world rather than me and decided I'd BF her.

We're now nine days in and it's going well. We've ended up mixed feeding for various reasons and she has 1-3 formula feeds each day, depending on circumstances. I've a couple of questions though.

- she feeds until she's full (and usually asleep) and then rolls off like a fat little glutton, then anywhere from ten minutes to an hour later she's howling like she's never been fed in her life. Is this standard until she gets into a pattern of her own? It's making me worry she's not getting enough. Sometimes she feeds for just a few minutes to help her drop off to sleep, other times it's 10-15 minutes, other times 30+ minutes.

- I'm getting a pump so that I can express once I've got a good supply going, DH wants to join in feeding and I'm not too confident feeding in front of visitors yet (especially thanks to FIL cracking boob jokes while I fed under a blanket with my face flaming). How long will breastmilk keep for at room temp/in the fridge/in the freezer?

- where's the best place to get nursing bras in bigger sizes? I'm using maternity sleep bras right now because I'm not really out and about yet but plan to be soon.

- she poops what seems like constantly, easily 6+ poopy nappies a day. This is usual for a BF baby, right?

This is my second baby and I feel like a first timer all over again! I was worrying last night because she felt hot until DH pointed out she had been in my arms and cuddled up to a breast/nipple drinking warm milk and it would make anyone warm.

Thanks in advance for any answers smile

CBear6 Fri 23-Sep-11 17:52:28

All the questions apply to her BF feeds rather than her FF feeds, just read it back and it didn't seem very clear

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 17:57:15

k feeding til she comes off and then wanting more a little bit later is absolutely normal. feed on demand and your supply will be great! the more you feed the more milk you make, the more supplements you add the less you will make and you may find your breastfeeding expereince cut short sooner than you would like

nursing bras i would get from somewhre like figleaves if you're shopping online, or bravissimo/rigby and peller if you are out and about

6+ nappies a day perfectly normal!

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 18:01:23

guide on how long you can keep milk for

girliefriend Fri 23-Sep-11 18:04:30

Hello congrats!!! smile I had an emcs and wanted to bf as had similiar fears about bonding and stuff!!!

I also combined fed for the first few weeks for a variety of reasons, however if you want to continue bf I would suggest you try and keep the formula to a minimum and maybe just for the end of the day when you are flagging and you want baby topped up for the night!!

She shouldn't IMO be hungry 10mins after a feed and if she is crying then my assumption would be that she was tired or had wind or something else that was upsetting her.

And blush I can not remember how often my dd was pooing or what I did with expressed milk!!! In my defence dd is now 5yo!!!

CBear6 Fri 23-Sep-11 18:13:05

Thanks for all the information, it's very reassuing smile

Do I have to warm stored breastmilk or can she drink it at room temperature?

Mimmee Fri 23-Sep-11 18:22:34

congrats! If you want to warm EBM just put in a jug of warm water as you will be storing in the fridge. Although DP has been known to give DD the bottle straight from the fridge and she drinks it - I prefer to warm it a little though!

TheProvincialLady Fri 23-Sep-11 18:28:05

I disagree with girliefriend that wanting to feed ten minutes after the last feed is a sign of a problem. If every feed was like that and there were other signs that feeding was not going so well, eg a lack of pooey and wet nappies (clearly no issues there!)it could be a red flag. But otherwise it is perfectly normal, especially in the evenings.

6 poos a day is normal whether VF or FF at first but a bonus of BF is that the baby may well start to poo once a day or even once a week, after about 6-8 weeks.

TheProvincialLady Fri 23-Sep-11 18:28:33

BF not BF sorry- I have a 2 year old on my lap!

nocake Fri 23-Sep-11 18:30:30

Congratulations... But can I suggest your DH tells his dad to apologise for his stupid comments. You shouldn't ever be made to feel like you can't feed anywhere you want.

TheProvincialLady Fri 23-Sep-11 18:34:47

Oh yes that too. It is deeply inapppropriate and horrible and you shoud not have to put up with it.

lilham Fri 23-Sep-11 18:57:52

If your DD latches on easily and quickly then you should have no problem feeding out exposing nothing. The easiest outfit i found is boob top under a t-shirt. Undo you bra clip and slide the boob top down with the tshirt in place. Then move your baby into feeding position with head in front of boob. Lift tshirt up and move head into position. You can ask your DH to see how discreet it is.

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 19:27:00

you could also practice feeding in front of a mirror. it's amazing how little you can see when you get the hang of it.

i same as previous poster... vest top under an ordinary top. pull the vest down under your breast, undo bra and then just lift your top up to get baby on... you couldn't see anything, just looked like i was cuddling the baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now