Talk

Advanced search

Root Canal Treatment - will it effect breast milk?

(7 Posts)
tigerfood Fri 23-Sep-11 14:42:47

Never had it done before, but worried that I may be prescribed anti-biotics or pain killers afterwards which may affect milk and baby.
Also, wondered about anaesthetic?

Haven't got much expressed milk in freezer and am reluctatnt to put 7 week old DD on formula, but am in real pain sad

Francagoestohollywood Fri 23-Sep-11 14:51:38

I totally understand how you feel, toothache is horrible.
Have you spoken to your dentist already? He/she should know if the anaesthetics are safe, and will prescribe the right painkillers or antibiotics (amoxicillin is fairly safe to take while breastfeeding. I took it twice).

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 14:54:28

i have had root canal treatment done whilst pregnant and whilst breastfeeding and it's fine

do tell your dentist though as they may want to use a different anaesthetic

mawbroon Fri 23-Sep-11 15:31:23

I had it done whilst breastfeeding. The dentist said, "best to wait til you are finished feeding" and I replied that if this one feeds as long as his brother, it could be another 6 years til I am finished. So he just did it anyway.

tigerfood Fri 23-Sep-11 17:07:26

thanks for reassuring replies.
mawbroon grin

camdancer Fri 23-Sep-11 17:59:55

I had to have a big filling while I was bfing DD1. My dentist (my Dad, very pro-bf and wanting to keep his gc safe) said that it was fine to do it but my milk might taste a bit funny for the rest of the day. In the end we agreed to leave it but his concerns were for the taste rather than anything dangerous.

tigerfood Sat 24-Sep-11 20:46:22

Camdancer - thanks.
Had the treatment done today and thankfully DD doesn't seem to have gone off my milk. And, dentist did put me on amoxicillin smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now