Talk

Advanced search

Have u tasted your bm?

(54 Posts)
Mampig Fri 23-Sep-11 11:20:35

I have!! Asked dh if he wanted to - from a cup wink and it freaked him out!! Now I can't help but wonder if you have or have given bm to anyone other than dc?? I mean- it's Soooo ok to drink animal milk but not human?? Also he wouldn't drink powdered milk but would happily give it to baby?? He really just plays along with me as I'm ebf!!! Just wondered your thoughts on this???

Byeckerslike Fri 23-Sep-11 11:22:09

I havent offered but im pretty sure dh would freak out! Ill ask him tonight and report back grin

marge2 Fri 23-Sep-11 11:24:37

I had a sip when I was expressing just to see what it was like. Quite sweet and mild. Quite pleasant.

I also tasted formula when I was considering stopping BF. MY GOD it was vile stuff.

ShowOfHands Fri 23-Sep-11 11:27:21

Yup I've tasted it, as has dh. It's not the nicest drink available.

CMOTdibbler Fri 23-Sep-11 11:28:03

Yes, and my mum (who is a bit mad) once put left over expressed milk in her coffee when she was looking after ds and had run out of cow milk

SpannerPants Fri 23-Sep-11 11:32:15

I stayed over at my parents so they could give me a break when DS was about 3 weeks old and had expressed some milk so I could have a lie in. I came downstairs to find my dad offering a taste to my sisters friends, who had been having a sleepover! How to freak out 4 20yr olds in one easy step blush

Apparently my milk tastes like evaporated milk, whereas my mums tasted like condensed milk hmm

SpannerPants Fri 23-Sep-11 19:21:36

well I guess that killed the thread! grin

<shuffles out quietly and shuts the door>

peedieworky Fri 23-Sep-11 19:24:27

I tasted mine as had problems with excess lipase, so it smelled like vomit once stored (yeeuurgh!). Probably sounds daft but I wouldn't give DS anything I wasn't willing to taste myself! Tasted a bit like the mil that's left in the bottom of the bowl when you've had sugar puffs or frosties or some other tasty unhealthy breakfast option.

peedieworky Fri 23-Sep-11 19:26:15

Sorry - that's meant to read "milk", not "mil"

Meglet Fri 23-Sep-11 19:26:43

Yes, I did when I had dd. XP had some too, direct from the breast. He thought it was dead clever.

Meglet Fri 23-Sep-11 19:26:45

Yes, I did when I had dd. XP had some too, direct from the breast. He thought it was dead clever.

Haggisfish Fri 23-Sep-11 21:17:20

Yep, me and OP have tasted it - like malty sweet biscuits with evaporated milk. Quite nice.

Haggisfish Fri 23-Sep-11 21:17:37

Not me and OP, me and OH!!

lilham Fri 23-Sep-11 21:38:44

Yes. I'm using my freezer stash for purees. Some of them look a bit off defrosted, kind of curdled looking. So I tasted them to test. Taste fine and slightly sweet.

Have also tasted them indirectly in DD's purees. I always taste the food I give to her.

SouthGoingZax Fri 23-Sep-11 21:39:47

Mine was a bit yukky. rather goaty.
My DTs liked it though smile

AngelDog Fri 23-Sep-11 21:46:42

Yes. DH shuddered at the idea though.

MrsChemist Fri 23-Sep-11 22:19:18

peediworky, that's exactly how DH described it: like the milk left over after eating sugar puffs

plus3 Fri 23-Sep-11 22:26:08

A tiny bit, but I did use it to cure DD's conjunctivitis... Worked brilliantly !!

DilysPrice Fri 23-Sep-11 22:36:33

I used to test the temperature of expressed stuff on the back of my hand and then would usually lick the drops off (does that make me a slob?)
Tasted shockingly sweet. SWWNBN states authoratively that you should wean babies onto vegetables before fruit to stop them getting a sweet tooth...she's clearly never tasted breast milk.

Cies Fri 23-Sep-11 22:36:51

I've tasted the drops that I used to leak, which was nice, sweet, warm.

But then I tasted some of the chilled expressed milk I had defrosted, and it was disgusting (for me), ds still loved it!

soupisgoodfood Fri 23-Sep-11 22:57:44

Have tasted the good stuff, it is incredibly sweet, isn't it?

Have also tasted mine when my supply was failing (dd was weaning in a very random way and was pg again so it all went downhill quite fast) and it tasted very salty, not sure if it was the pg or the intermittent feeds but, yeah, salty and not nice.

tigercametotea Fri 23-Sep-11 23:06:03

Yes, but I had to brace myself a little before I tasted it, silly me. Actually it just tastes like a sweet liquid, not thick, quite watery compared to cows milk. DH tasted it once, but that was just the once. Formula milk tastes really yucky.

pettyprudence Sat 24-Sep-11 15:31:28

Yes a tiny bit and it was lovely smile I tricked DH into tasting a bit in DS's porridge, and he was horrified but when I pointed out to him that
a) human milk is for humans
b) cows milk is for cows
he realised that cow's milk is technically more icky. Also pointed out to him that men seem to like women to ingest human fluids not designed for drinking....... I'll leave it there as this is a nice thread and it's not a friday night grin sorry for lowering the tone blush

ohfuschia Sat 24-Sep-11 15:37:49

Yes I was made to test it at the airport when I put my hand luggage through - the woman made a face and apologised when I said what it was, but I still had to taste it. It was the sweetness I remember most.

mamalovesmojitos Sat 24-Sep-11 15:49:55

Yes, tasted a tiny drop, it was very sweet. Once was enough to satisfy my curiosity!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now