Talk

Advanced search

Quite a big change in colour and consistency to my EBM. Is it still ok?

(5 Posts)
1catherine1 Thu 22-Sep-11 22:20:04

In short... Yesterday I expressed 6 oz of milk when I returned home from work (after over 8 hours of no feeding). My milk was it usual creamy colour with a normal milky consistency. Today I came home and expressed 5 oz - have eaten exactly the same as yesterday (same breakfast, same lunch, 3 cups of coffee) but my milk seems very different.

Today my milk seems more of a watery consistency and more white than cream. Is this a normal day to day variation? I've done a lot of expressing and never seen it this colour before. Will it still be ok for my DD? If it looks more watery then will it mean she needs more and it is less nutritional than the other milk? We have problems getting her to take milk out of the bottle as it is. If this milk isn't as good then I think it might be better to throw it away and only offer her the nutritionally superior one. Am I over thinking this? I perhaps could use the watery one to put in her food. hmm

In case it is relevant - the only difference between yesterday and today is that last night I had less than 3 hours sleep as the DD was teething quite badly and kept waking up. Could this affect my milk? confused

hmm... wasn't so short after all blush sorry for the waffle. Just wondering what to do with that funny coloured milk...

TIA

supercalafragalistic Thu 22-Sep-11 23:25:23

remember breastmilk changes all the time. In color, consistency and quantity but its all good stuff! Often the first bit you pump is paler and more watery and then gets thicker and creamier. There is lots of helpful info on www.kellymom.com

WiiUnfit Fri 23-Sep-11 14:55:19

Sounds like the first lot of expressed milk contained more hind milk & the second more fore milk. I'm not an expert on whether it will contain the same nutritional value or anything but I know mine changes very regularly too.

I think you may be overthinking it a little bit, going on the thread title I half expected to read about blue lumpy milk or something! grin

MigGril Fri 23-Sep-11 18:01:23

Yes milk changes from day to day (clever stuff) do you need to worry about it no. Interstly I learned recently that the volume of BM a baby take's doesn't change after they are a month old, the thing that changes during growth spurts is the compesition of your milk. (very clever stuff)

TheProvincialLady Fri 23-Sep-11 18:09:48

Nothing to worry about. I exclusively expressed for DS1 for 18m and in that time I had every possible permutation of BM - thick, watery, creamy, bluish, white, brownish, yellowish. He thrivedsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now