Talk

Advanced search

Which teat/bottle?

(6 Posts)
Loonytoonie Thu 22-Sep-11 13:27:22

I'm lending my electric medela to a friend of mine this afternoon. Her baby was born 4 weeks ago, and was 3 weeks prem. He's been feeding every 10 mins or so for the last few days and she's sore. Toe-curlingly so. I've suggested that she express and bottle feed one side at a time to rest it but she doesn't know which teat or bottle is best to feed him from.

Any suggestions?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 22-Sep-11 13:39:39

Not sure sorry Loony as both of mine were bottle refusers, one of my friends did have success with NUK, but not sure which ones.

Just wondered though if your friend is getting some RL help regarding her nipples? Is there a local Bfing Counsellor she could talk too or has she rung one of the helplines? Maybe you could have LO while she gives them a call? smile.

Also feeding every 10 minutes is a lot. Has her latch been checked? Has she tried a bit of breast compression?

Does LO actually want feeding or will they settle on someone else to give her a break? Could you try this with LO this afternoon?

Loonytoonie Thu 22-Sep-11 14:05:11

One of her school-Mum friends is a bf peer supporter and helped her through a really sore right breast last week. It was lumpy and hot and her friend suggested lots of feeding from the sore side in different positions to 'drain' the blocked milk ducts (hence the lumps?) and lots of gentle massaging of the lumps whilst in the bath or shower to try and gently work them through.

Since then, he's been feeding literally every 10 mins or so and won't settle. The video link looks amazing so I'll send it on to her.

Is the baby having a bit of a growth spurt?

Loonytoonie Thu 22-Sep-11 14:06:22

I'll ask whether she's had her latch checked too. She probably thinks it's fine since it's only now, 4 weeks into feeding that it's hurting. Is this possible that the pain could take this long to show if the latch is wrong?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 22-Sep-11 14:29:13

Loony don't think your friend has been given the right advice unfortunately. Frequent feeding is correct however it sounds to me like she has mastitis and need antibiotiics. Have a read of this and see what you think.

If she thinks it may be a growth spurt, they can last upto a week, have a look here, however with everything you've said I really think she is best talking to a BFC before she does anything else. Has she got the helpline numbers?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 23-Sep-11 09:36:01

How is your friend getting on now Loony?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now