Talk

Advanced search

can I take travel sickness pills when bfing?

(8 Posts)
reastie Thu 22-Sep-11 13:01:10

Just got back from the chemist - the pharmasist told me I could only take kwells if bfing upon GPs advice. I'm not sure tbh if he checked in his book of medications, I think he just read the packaging which of course always says check with a doctor first.

I'm off on hol on Sat and want to have some pills handy just incase - I may be fine but I do suffer from dizziness in long car journeys alot. I have the travel wrist bands which will hopefully help but sometimes I need the hard stuff grin . The chemist assistant gave me lots of helpful advice like I had never heard of it, like take ginger, sit in the front etc (no kidding).

Can anyone help if it's accepted to take or not and if there are any one that are better than others when bfing safety wise? I usually take kwells but sometimes take joy rides. My GP only has phone in times in the morning which I've now missed and the receptionists are very specific about only finding answers at this specified time and I have an appointment in the middle of phone in time tomorrow confused

reastie Thu 22-Sep-11 17:43:34

am bumping as have now spoken to gp who wasn't v helpful

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 22-Sep-11 17:47:29

No idea if Kwells are OK, but i have to take Joyrides if I go anywhere, my travel sickness really is that bad, and I've been told by my GP that I'm fine to continue during pregnancy (now in second trimester, don't know if they'd have said that at the beginning) and breastfeeding.

reastie Thu 22-Sep-11 18:31:30

really? ahh fabbo fuckity - I will try and get my hands on some tomorrow - did your gp say anything about them at all risky or are they pretty safe?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 22-Sep-11 18:38:26

He did look it up properly for me, and it's one of those things that morally they can never test it on breastfeeding mothers and babies iyswim, but he thought they were safe. I took far worse medication when I was breastfeeding and I was fine. I rationalise that Joyrides are marketed for kids anyway blush. I don't have much choice though. I have something wrong with my ear which gives me awful motion sickness. It's either take them or stay at home. I don't know if Kellymom website would have more info? That or call NHS direct for advice? Though ime a lot of HCPs will tell you something's a no no when really they just can't be bothered to find out the facts.

reastie Thu 22-Sep-11 18:44:12

fuckity both my gp and local pharmacist have just said no/unsure but they didn't really bother checking angry . I will check kelly mom and if not just get the joyrides and hope I don't have to take them

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 22-Sep-11 18:46:43

reastie, the thing I find with Joyrides is that they are prevention, not cure. If I take them when I'm already moving and feeling sick, they don't work.I have to take them before I leave. One thing I know helps me is to suck a sweet almost constantly, and make sure I drink enough. And not turn around to the back seat. That's the big one for me, as soon as I start turning my head I could vom for England hmm Check the active ingredient on Kelly Mom, I'm sure it'll be fine smile

reastie Thu 22-Sep-11 19:07:14

just been googling and it seems anti sickness pills in general interact with the buscopan I have to take for IBS, so no go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now