Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding + weight loss

(9 Posts)
swaddleaholic Wed 21-Sep-11 22:20:59

So, my little one is 14 weeks and I'd like to lose some weight for my brothers upcoming wedding. I've reduced my carb intake and im worrying about

1. my milk not being as satisfying for the bubba who is waking more at night, but this may be coniciding with a 4 month growth spurt

2. read on kellymom (great website btw) about losing weight whilst feeding means that you may risk introducing toxins into your breastmilk. would this be harmful? how do they know? How much weight loss would you need to be doing for this to occur?!

3. are some diets better than others for breastmilk, eg should I keep up the carbs and reduce portions etc? Any ideas!!

I do want to keep feeding and feel like a wedding is a superficial reason to stop, but know from my first son that the weight just didnt shift till I stopped. the wedding is in Thailand and I just don't fancy feeling like a beached whale on the beach.

feel like a superficial mum, but any thoughts appreciated.

kimberlina Wed 21-Sep-11 22:25:55

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to look good grin

AFAIK unless you totally starve yourself then your milk quality is unlikely to be affected so don't worry too much.

I've been lucky but have heard that weightwatchers seems to be good

EauRouge Thu 22-Sep-11 07:36:04

Yes, your milk will be fine so no need to worry about that smile

When you are breastfeeding it is best to eat a healthy, balanced diet. This is not to do with your milk, it's because of you- your body will prioritise milk production and you'll get what's left so there needs to be something left over grin I think a calorie counting or points based diet like weight watchers would probably be the healthiest. Make sure you tell them you are BF. When is the wedding? It's best to lose weight gradually.

hazchem Thu 22-Sep-11 08:24:27

your going to think I am ridiculous but have you thought about contacting your Sure Start Centre.
At my local centre there is a dietian(sp) who i can go see for free. I am also today about to start a 12 week healthy eating and exercises course run by the centre which is for mums to lose weight.

That being said i have been doing weight watchers which has been good.

you can lose up to about 1/2 kilo a week while breast feeding. I'd also recommend some form of toning exersize but make sure it's post natal safe. but something that includes lunges or squats that way if you still have a wobbly tummy your bum looks great!

#oh and i'm finding it easier to eat less now DS is eating some food as well as breast milk.

good luck

moomsy Thu 22-Sep-11 09:21:53

My daughter will be 2 weeks tomorrow (Yeah!!!)

I have already lost 15Kgs! I have been eating healthily, 3 meals a day and small portions. I find that I am always feeding the little one so I don't have much time for myself lol

I reckon most of this loss has been water though. I had the night sweats like crazy for a few days last week.

Still would like to lose another 5kgs so will try weight watchers if it doesn't go on its own. I also have a wedding in Feb and I really want to look good!

Good luck smile xx

cara2244 Thu 29-Sep-11 21:29:48

I am really struggling to lose weight. My baby is 14 weeks and ebf. I don't know how much I weigh, but I am a dress size above normal. I am trying to eat healthy but just seem to be staying huge!!

cara2244 Thu 29-Sep-11 21:30:39

And I do loads of walking and a postnatal buggy fit class and yoga too. It does get me down especially when it's warm, and when I look in the cupboard and nothing fits.

Eglu Thu 29-Sep-11 21:33:59

Agree that WW is good. They have it planned so you get the right amount of calories for breastfeeding.

3rdtimesacharm Thu 29-Sep-11 21:37:53

WW is working well for me. Lost 21lbs so far and have breastfed throughout. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now