Talk

Advanced search

Getting 10do ebf baby to sleep...

(16 Posts)
titferbrains Wed 21-Sep-11 18:39:09

Getting lots oF help ATM so dm often takes ds and rocks him to sleep. If I put him down in pram swaddled for nap he tends to fight swaddle and cries. Unswaddled his arms are like windmills.

He often dozes off on boob but wakes ups if u move him and starts rooting around for boob. Have just fed him to sleep for about the 4th time in an hour and he's begun stirring when I moved him to wind him gently and the as soon as I try to let him lie comfortably on me he smells me and begins rooting and crying... And we begin again.

He sleeps IN sling but am worried about doing too much post sec, can't wearhimfor every nap can I?

So what do I do to get him sleeping on his own by day? Not going out for walks with pram yet so don't know how that will work, assume it will put himtosleep tho.

Just keentoget him into good habits but not sure how to do this while demand feeding and cosleeping at night.

titferbrains Wed 21-Sep-11 18:45:38

Note I've had a c sec and have 3yo dd so cannot spend my days on my arse feeding him. He can't seem to settle without boob or my finger in his mouth but don't want to give a dummy yet in case it messes with bfing. He's just woken himself again because swaddle cloth touched his mouth, makes him root again...

I wouldnt worry about good habits at 10do smile Whatever works at that stage!

PS, I have read that "nipple confusion" is nonsense (anecdotally true for me too, my EBF DS had a dummy practically from birth with no probs)

titferbrains Wed 21-Sep-11 19:55:35

Am not so concerned about what I'm doing now but just want to be aware of what I will have to do eventually to get him to nap regularly.

I have just had to let him have a good scream while I was sorting DD out and when I then picked him up he passed out on my shoulder, poor thing.

He is essentially always falling asleep next to me or on me or someone else, how do I gradually wean him off doing this? He's been asleep for a good 15 min and I just put him down in pram and now he's woken up crying again. I repeat, I cannot hold him all the time but he cries when put down, if being comforted and picked up is all he knows for first few weeks what are the next steps to helping him fall asleep on his own?

titferbrains Wed 21-Sep-11 19:56:31

A friend of mine has come across nipple confusion with her DD so it does exist. Dd began sucking on mother's nipple differently.

cantmakecarrotcake Wed 21-Sep-11 19:59:57

I cuddled or walked DD for her naps everyday for about 10 weeks (sorry, that isn't what you wanted to hear!). Go with the sling for now if it works and work on putting him down when he's a bit older. I found I could cuddle her to sleep, hold her for 10min to get her into an established sleep then gently put her down in her cot.

Hard with a 3yo though, not sure how what I did would work with another in tow...

ginmakesitallok Wed 21-Sep-11 20:01:27

But he's only 10 days old??? I know it's hard when you've got another one and can't spend every minute with new baby - but your wee boy has only been in the big world for 10 days!! If he'll fall asleep on someone else then give him to someone else for a while. I think he's much too young to be trying to get him to sleep by himself

HandMini Wed 21-Sep-11 20:02:14

If you feel BF is going well, and you did it with your first DC, and therefore know the ropes, and your DS is feeding confidently, I would not be too concerned with giving a dummy. I don't think nipple/teat confusion is going to rock the boat - the suck/root/feed instincts are clearly strong in your baby.

ShowOfHands Wed 21-Sep-11 20:03:27

I had an emcs 17 days ago. DS is exactly the same and I just sling him. I have 4yo dd to get to and from school and he needs constant comfort/milk. I love the cuddles though.

Mampig Wed 21-Sep-11 20:15:16

No-cry Sleep Solution is an excellent book for bf, co- sleeping and more!! I'm reading it at the minute. Ds 12 wo so still young but I'm glad I've started it as I can start habits early!!wink

titferbrains Wed 21-Sep-11 20:28:36

Am trying not to sound cranky here but think my question has been misunderstood. I know that it's fine to do whatever to get ds to sleep for now, I am asking what I should eventually do to get him to make transition to falling asleep on his own eventually.

EauRouge Wed 21-Sep-11 20:30:29

Giving a dummy can interfere with BF if introduced early, there is some info on it here.

I wouldn't worry about good habits either, you won't be rocking him to sleep when he's 15 smile so just go with whatever works for now. Feeding to sleep, rocking in a bouncy chair, it's all temporary. Have you learnt to feed lying down? You could nap together then.

EauRouge Wed 21-Sep-11 20:31:44

Sorry, x posted. All babies are different so it's hard to say. My DD2 will happily fall asleep on her own most times but DD1 needed feeding to sleep a lot more. I would just play it by ear.

AJH2007 Wed 21-Sep-11 20:39:20

Am not one to talk as have a ten week old DS who still only falls asleep on or next to me, but am also reading the No Cry Sleep Solution for ideas. I have found that putting him down in the warm spot where I was sitting or warming his Moses basket with a hot water bottle helps a bit.
If anyone has better suggestions that do not include leaving DS to 'cry it out' I would love to hear them.

organiccarrotcake Wed 21-Sep-11 20:43:46

TBH OP it's not really possible to say what will work later on. Some babies just find it really hard to sleep alone. Others go to sleep without a parent very easily. At the moment yours looks like he just needs you, and this might change, and it might not. You can't change that, just take the least path of resistance.

There are many techniques out there to encourage babies to sleep and how well each one works depends on your own baby. What works for some won't work for others - and some people are more comfortable with some techniques than they are others.

I like the No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, and the advice in the various books by Dr William Sears (also lots of info on his website). I am very worried about encouraging so-called self-settling by CIO, CC (Google cortisol) or any of the similar methods suggested by the likes of Tizzie Hall (whose advice includes using up to 16 blankets - overheating anyone? - Nutter), and so on. But this is personal and within limits these techniques are personal choice.

Nipple confusion can certainly happen, but it's not a certainty. If you feel you really need to introduce a dummy and you're aware that it may change how he tries to latch (and you're prepared to ditch the dummy and work on the latch again if necessary) you could try it if you wanted. It may have no negative effect at all and be a life saver for you. Or it could be totally rejected.

You sound like you know your stuff anyway, and so you'll know that there's no real answer to your question. You're obviously doing your best to follow your baby's needs while recognising that you can't devote every moment to him given your other child's needs, and so I'm absolutely sure that you'll be able to find the right balance (as much as any of us do smile )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now