Talk

Advanced search

How do I know if my approx 3 yr old bottles contain BPA?

(7 Posts)
iWILLdothis Wed 21-Sep-11 15:56:57

Really fretting about this now. DD was born in Feb 2009. Started BFing her but was forced to stop due to medication I was taking making her sick also. Someone had bought us MAM bottles as a gift, but she turned out to have very bad colic and others recommended trying Dr Brown bottles, so we splashed out on 8 Dr Brown plastic bottles. I vaguely remember some fuss about BPA at the time, but I was so very very ill and in hospital at the time and can't remember what conclusion DH and I came to and why we didn't change bottles back then. What I'm really worried about now is what damage have I done to DD?? sad I read somewhere online that there should be a shape with a number inside it at the bottom of the bottle that indicates whether or not the plastic contains BPA, but all it says on the bottom of my bottles is "China". Not helpful. Still have one of the boxes that the bottles came in, but they don't mention anything about BPA either. How (if at all?) can I put my mind at ease about this?
Took out all the old bottles yesterday as DC2 is due in 3 weeks, and while I plan to try BFing this time, I want to have bottles ready just in case things don't go according to plan. I could use the MAM bottles this time, as they clearly state on the box "BPA free", but IF this DC also turns out to have colic, I might want to switch to the Dr Browns bottles....but obviously won't if they aren't definitely BPA-free.....but how do I find out whether they are or not???? Please advise!
Thanks

SurprisEs Wed 21-Sep-11 15:59:41

On the bottom they should have a number and that would indicate wether they are BPA free or not.
But being the unhelpful self I am, I have no clue what number means what. Sorry.

SurprisEs Wed 21-Sep-11 16:01:38

Should have read the full post as you already know about the number. Sorry.

In the uk the BPA levels have been regulated for a long time. The problem was in the U.S.
So probably no damage at all.

organiccarrotcake Wed 21-Sep-11 16:03:25

You could contact Dr Browns?

iWILLdothis Wed 21-Sep-11 16:42:49

organiccarrotcake on your suggestion, I just rang them. Gave them a batch number and she tells me they are NOT BPA free. shock sad Oh dear. So when I asked about potential damage done to DD, she said "oh probably none, it's not found to be harmful, but they stopped producing them with BPA due to consumer demand....blah blah." Doesn't really put my mind at ease, when you read on the internet about harmful effects like cancer, early onset of puberty etc etc etc. Scary stuff. Obviously I won't use these for DC2, I'll use the MAM ones if needed, but still worried about DD having used them. sad

SurprisEs Wed 21-Sep-11 16:48:35

As I said before it is very unlikely to have aided any damage because the BPA levels in the uk have been controlled for a ling time. Dont use them this time if it makes you feel insecure but don't worry about DC1

iWILLdothis Wed 21-Sep-11 18:18:45

Thanks, SurprisEs...that's good to hear levels were controlled in the UK. I'll just try and content myself. If I wasn't expecting DC2 now I would never have even remembered a thing about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now