Talk

Advanced search

Which Formula?

(10 Posts)
Franchini Wed 21-Sep-11 09:36:55

Hi everyone,
I'm a first time Mum due in 6 weeks and just starting to get ready for the new arrival.

I am going to get some formula in just incase I need some (am going to try and BF) and wondering in your expert opinions which is the best formula to get to start off with.
I have heard that certain formula milk can be bad for the baby.
Also what are your opinions on the ready made cartons of milk that you can buy?
Thanks x x

tiktok Wed 21-Sep-11 10:00:26

All formulas on sale all over the world have to comply with internationally-agreed regulations and of course that applies to the UK. So anyone manufacturing a formula for use from birth produces a product that differs not very much from everything else on the market - so there is no 'best' formula. All of them have the identical drawback that they are not breastmilk smile That does not mean all formulas are identical, though.

You can google UNICEF Guide to Infant Formula for a good overview of the differences.

Ready made cartons are safest for young babies as they need no making up with powder and water, which has to be done very safely.

If you plan to breastfeed, you can of course buy formula easily and quickly if you decide you need to use it - there's no need to have it on hand and some women feel if it is on hand you are more likely to use it, and using formula tends to undermine breastfeeding.

MollyTheMole Wed 21-Sep-11 10:03:15

Good idea to get something in just incase, last thing you need is to be faffing about at midnight trying to get some formula if bf doesnt work out for whatever reason.

I used Aptamil but that was just trial and error - tried SMA but DS didnt really take to it and one of the others caused him a bit of tummy upset, cant remember which it was....

Nothing wrong with the cartons, infact Id buy a couple of a few different makes first and that way you havent wasted alot of money with a big tub if BF works out smile

hsmom Wed 21-Sep-11 12:30:04

Ji,
Like you I fully intended to breastfeed but was worried that I might struggle or I had worries about getting ill and not having any milk (hormones me thinks!).

My DH bought a couple of cartons of cow and gate ready made first stage formula. It was reassuring to have it in the house..... BUT..... Its still there and my DD is 20 weeks old now.
BF was hard at the start (first few days especially as she was in neo-natal and I had to express the colostrum for her to be tube fed- its a bit soul destroying that practically nothing comes out!) but as soon as we found our groove and my milk came in, its been amazing - best thing I ever did and I wouldn't have changed it for the world.
If you have a couple of cartons on standby, it may reassure you like it did for me, but persevere with the BF - ITS JUST WONDERFUL!! :-)

Good luck,
hs xx

naturalbaby Wed 21-Sep-11 14:03:34

I was going to start a similar thread but my baby is older so am hoping I can tag a question onto this thread if that's o.k??

has anyone had a baby who refused formula because of the taste? my baby is 8months and will drink water out of any bottle or beaker and expressed milk at a push but pulls a face and spits out formula so i'm assuming it's because of the taste. we've got hipp at the moment. i'm hating throwing it all down the sink every day!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 22-Sep-11 12:53:51

natural have you tried mixing the formula with the ebm, you can start adding just a little and then gradually increase the porportions if LO will take it. There is some info here too on bottle feeding.

Franchini glad you are planning ahead but would say that buying formula in if you are planning to bf isn't really a good idea. If you like being prepared there are lots of things you can do that will help.

Firstly, find out where your nearest Bfing Support Groups are and go along before LO arrives and have a cuppa and a chat with the Mums and Mums-to-Be. That way you'll have a support network once LO arrives and know where to go for help. There are lists of support groups here and here or ask at your local Surestart Centre.

Also, try to find out if you have any local Bfing Counsellors and put their numbers in your phone. Try NCT and La Leche League. You can phone them before LO arrives if you want to talk through your concerns.

Don't forget too to put the Bfing Helpline numbers in your phone and ring them if you have any problems or worries at all.

If you really like being prepared there is some great information here.

As for the formula, unless you like in the middle of nowhere, you can get if from most supermarkets 24 hours a day. You really don't need to worry about it now smile.

reastie Thu 22-Sep-11 13:10:26

natural I'm no expert liek some ladies here but have you tried using the formula in his foods - like with baby bfast cereal or whatever so he gets used to the taste in this way?

naturalbaby Thu 22-Sep-11 14:08:52

thanks for the advice. i was told to try mixing it with expressed milk and feel silly for saying it but finding it really hard to find time every time to pump. i'm trying to get him in a bottle to give me a break and this is just making more work! have tried a couple of times and he wasn't impressed and am using it a lot for breakfast and supper. he's just not as laid back as my other babies!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 22-Sep-11 14:19:52

natural its not a silly thing to say at all. He sounds just like my DS, I thought pumping would give me a break but no. Once I decided to just go with the flow as it were it was a lot easier.

naturalbaby Fri 23-Sep-11 15:17:10

i've got a couple of cartons of other makes of formula to try so i don't have too much to waste but can't be bothered with the whole thing. am just so exhausted so hoped this would give me a break, and was told/adviced to cut back/stop due to exhaustion but it's just made things worse. i keep thinking we've got through nearly 8months and he's cutting down now he's on solids anyway so don't see how it's going to magically make me feel so much better physically by stopping.

anyway, am going to chill out and enjoy having to scoff an extra few hundred calories every day for another few months grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now