Talk

Advanced search

22 month old switching, switching, switching at night

(5 Posts)
mrsgordonfreeman Tue 20-Sep-11 12:44:39

DD was going through a lovely phase of sleeping beautifully but for the last 3 weeks or so she has been waking and (we co-sleep) insisting on switching sides every couple of minutes, several times in the night.

If I refuse, she complains bitterly and can take up to an hour to go back to sleep, but if I comply she keeps me awake. I'm sure she's not sleeping properly either.

I have tried making it difficult for her to switch, she whinges a bit but will accept the one side if I persist.

She is teething: could it be an attempt to reduce the discomfort, should I admit defeat, don a polo neck and night wean, or just hope that she stops soon? DH and I don't really want her out of our bed just yet, she's an excellent hot water bottle and alarm clock.

mawbroon Tue 20-Sep-11 14:07:06

It's a phase. Both mine did/do this and I hear it all the time at LLL meetings.

Hopefully it will pass! Can you do the roll over and offer the top boob thing?

I find it has been easier just to go with it rather than against it until they get fed up and start some other annoying endearing habit. smile

mrsgordonfreeman Tue 20-Sep-11 16:12:29

Thanks, it feels better knowing I'm not the only one.

I can roll over but that wakes me up too, then she prods me to roll back, and so forth.

She's now started sitting on the sofa and barking orders at people, claiming to be unable to get things herself on account of being "stuck".

AngelDog Tue 20-Sep-11 21:12:25

It might be that she wants soothing to sleep but bf isn't working properly because of teething, or she wants the extra comfort from lots of bf because her teeth hurt.

My 20 m.o. DS is doing this at the moment - he's cutting his back molars. After he's asked about a million a few times, I offer to bounce him while he lies on my chest. He usually says yes in a relieved way and goes to sleep again fairly quickly.

Of course, he sometimes wakes up again when I roll him onto the bed and then we have to re-start it all over again. hmm

In the past when he's been teething, bf to sleep hasn't worked in the middle of the night and I've had to get up & rock him in the chair for up to 2 hours. It went back to normal once the teeth had come through so I'm looking forward to it improving again this time.

Sometimes he asks for a drink of water too, but I always forget to offer that in the night.

Tvetenia Thu 22-Sep-11 16:17:11

Hello mrsgf. grin

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago. 12 m.o. DS is still switching all night lots. Last night he just would not let go. Refusing one side has a similar effect to poking him with sharp sticks. I worried that it was a supply thing as it started when I went back to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now