Talk

Advanced search

Changes in feeding pattern

(7 Posts)
MummytoAnnabel Tue 20-Sep-11 10:11:23

I have an 8 week old baby and breast feeding has been going really well. Up until last week she was really quite predictable, every 3 hours and always from both breasts and for at least 10 minutes. In the last week this has changed, during the day mainly one breast and less than 10 minutes. She now tends to do 2 hours between feeds, although the odd 3 hour here and there to test me!

Im worried that she isnt getting enough and that she should be going for 3 hours still. In between feeds she doesnt seem hungry and I always seem to have enough milk.

Am I just being paranoid as this is my first baby? I'm also worried that this short feeding in the day is preventing her going longer at night. I'm getting very tired and would love just a little more sleep.

EauRouge Tue 20-Sep-11 10:38:53

You're not being paranoid, you're making sure grin Have you ever heard or read anything about growth spurts? These happen from time to time, babies will feed more often because they need the extra calories. The shorter feedings could be down to her being more efficient at sucking, so the milk could be coming out faster meaning that she's getting more in a shorter amount of time.

The best ways to tell if a baby is getting enough is to check weight gain and wet/dirty nappies, also general health- does she seem happy and healthy? As her mother (and therefore the expert grin ) you will be the first to spot if she's out of sorts.

There is some information here and here that you might find helpful.

tiktok Tue 20-Sep-11 10:53:29

Yep, agree with Eau ....sounds like perfectly normal behaviour. Only very very rare babies stick with the same feeding pattern all the way through.

By the way, Eau, dirty nappy checks/counts not much use after the newborn period smile

EauRouge Tue 20-Sep-11 10:56:29

Ah, thanks TikTok- I would have thought lack of wet nappies would be a sign of dehydration though? I suppose you'd get other signs first?

tiktok Tue 20-Sep-11 11:03:28

Always difficult to be sure about wet/dry nappies beyond newborn, because some brands just slurp it all up, and also, babies wee rather less frequently as they get older.

tiktok Tue 20-Sep-11 11:04:06

To clarify: a baby who is clearly not weeing is cause for concern.

EauRouge Tue 20-Sep-11 11:04:17

That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up for me! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now