Talk

Advanced search

What postnatal pain relief is available if you are breastfeeding?

(11 Posts)
BedHog Mon 19-Sep-11 11:28:15

I needed pain relief for a few weeks after having DS (episiotomy, forceps etc) and was given co-codamol which left me in a zombie-like state and I'm sure contributed to bf not being as successful as I would have liked. When I realised what it was doing to me, my midwife allowed me to change to paracetamol, which had little effect on the pain.

Are there any other pain relieving drugs that are compatible with breastfeeding? I always use ibuprofen for period pains etc. which seems to work well for me - can this be used? Or is there something stronger available that won't leave me staring into space and unable to concentrate on anything?

smile

YankNCock Mon 19-Sep-11 11:32:55

I had an emergency CS and was given diclofenac, seemed ok to me, I don't remember being a zombie or anything. Breastfeeding went fine. I've been feeding DS for two years now, and IME bloody everything says not recommended when breastfeeding.

My favourite place for information is the Breastfeeding Network. There is a helpline run voluntarily by a pharmacist who is just excellent and reassuring. Give her a call!

ObviouslyOblivious Mon 19-Sep-11 11:36:07

I had an emcs and was given morphine and ibuprofen for the week that I was in hospital. I was breastfeeding.

BartletForAmerica Mon 19-Sep-11 11:36:38

Paracetamol and ibuprofen are both fine when BFing.

What strength of co-codamol were you taking? You can get 8/500 and 30/500 (containing 8mg and 30mg of codeine respectively), so if you were on the higher dose but still needed something extra, perhaps you could try the smaller dose.

ShowOfHands Mon 19-Sep-11 11:37:44

Our hospital gives morphine, diclofenac and paracetamol as routine post cs.

iskra Mon 19-Sep-11 11:42:56

I had diclofenac after Dd1 forceps delivery, & breastfed fine. Now taking over the counter cocodamol for dd2 war wounds, feeling okay. But it's not that strong I'd guess.

BartletForAmerica Mon 19-Sep-11 11:56:58

I've found this for you: The Breastfeeding Network leaflet on analgesia

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Analgesia_and_Breastfeeding_March_2010.pdf

bunnygirl80 Mon 19-Sep-11 12:02:40

I was given diclofenac in hospital postnatally. Once we got home,the lactation consultant got me to restart it when my milk came in and I was very engorged as she felt it would help reduce the associated inflammation.

BedHog Mon 19-Sep-11 12:13:07

Thanks very much, I will check out those links. I'm not sure of the co-codamol dose as it was more than 3 years ago, but it's good to know there are alternatives available, and that ibuprofen can be used.

I'm surprised that morphine is ok - I thought that was very similar to heroin!

BartletForAmerica Mon 19-Sep-11 12:17:27

Morphine and heroin (diamorphine) are the same drug but there is a great difference between having a proper pure drug being prescribed appropriately by a doctor and heroin bought on the street. smile

BartletForAmerica Mon 19-Sep-11 12:18:55

(Clearly, MN never has pedants around, but I should clarify just in case that diamorphine is the prodrug.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now