Talk

Advanced search

9do ds ebf but poos still yellowish brown, not yellow. Why?

(13 Posts)
titferbrains Mon 19-Sep-11 10:35:12

waiting for change to mustard yellow poos. Still brown, runny. Poos after most feeds. Jaundice but mw said fine. Lost 6% of weight at 6 days.

pozzled Mon 19-Sep-11 10:39:47

Sounds absolutely fine. It does take a while to settle to the yellow colour, so as long as their are no other concerns I wouldn't worry.

tiktok Mon 19-Sep-11 10:41:07

It's unusual - what's his weight now?

Of itself, continued brown poo is not significant, but it does mean it would be good to get a more complete picture.

Is he feeding both breasts a lot day and night? You're not doing a 'one side per feed' thing are you?

tiktok Mon 19-Sep-11 10:41:38

pozzled - normally, babies are pooing yellow by day 4-5.

titferbrains Mon 19-Sep-11 18:30:39

No, am offering both sides. Doula says offer one side for longer so will see how that goes. Looked a bit more yellow this aft so maybe I was switching to 2nd boob too soon.

eightyone Mon 19-Sep-11 18:37:09

Mine was doing runny brown poos at 6 days (remember the midwife asking at a visit on day 6, but she didnt say anything about it being a problem at the time).

Changed to yellow colour the following day and I hadn't changed what I was doing wrt feeding at the time it just changed with time I assume.

msnovember Mon 19-Sep-11 19:57:00

Can someone explain the one side per feed thing and why that's wrong? My dd was born last Thurs AM and pooed several times over the next 30 hours or so, but nothing since. She has very smelly farts though! She's been feeding in half hour bursts and falling asleep so I figured she was satisfied. Should I wind/wake her and offer more? Figured same breast was best to get hindmilk, should I in fact switch?

Are the noxious farts significant at all?

Sorry for all the questions. Postnatal ward support was dire and I didn't get my scheduled community mw visit today.

msnovember Mon 19-Sep-11 19:59:00

Am also using nipple shields, would that cause wind? She does get distressed and I assume it's wind, but it looks like hunger cues too - rooting, sucking hands frantically etc.

discrete Mon 19-Sep-11 20:02:07

msnovember, sounds like your baby isn't getting quite enough milk.

msnovember Mon 19-Sep-11 20:56:02

Well, it only came in 24 hours ago (and when I feed, the other boob leaks so I'm taking that as a promising sign?), so do I just need to up the frequency AND length of feeds? Can you recommend some timings for me? Do I let her stay on one boob for her usual half hour, then try to get her on the other one, or do I switch sooner? What if I can't encourage her to feed for longer than half an hour?

Wish the community mw had visited today so I could have at least had her weighed sad I don't know whether she's lost weight.

msnovember Mon 19-Sep-11 21:06:47

I think I should probably start my own thread, so sorry titferbrains!

tiktok Mon 19-Sep-11 21:16:02

Deliberately only offering one side reduces the stimulation of the breasts because it leaves the unused breast with milk in, which reduces the amount of milk made - this is such a commonly misunderstood thing because midwives and others (including doulas, it now appears) have got the wrong end of the stick about foremilk/hindmilk.

Many mothers' milk supply probably manages fine despite deliberate one-sided feeding. For some though, it's crucial not to do this because the baby does not get sufficient volume of milk and the mother's milk supply becomes insufficient. Anyone telling a mother 'one side only' is giving the game away - they dont understand how things work (exception is when the mother is over-producing).

Best explanations I have seen are here:

www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2010/07/foremilkhindmilk-and-lot-of-confusion.html

www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/2010/6/27/worries-about-foremilk-and-hindmilk.html

msnovember Mon 19-Sep-11 21:22:06

Thanks so much tiktok. If you had the time to glance over my thread, I would be so grateful.

Here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now