Talk

Advanced search

How to go about introducing formula in a sippy cup to a bf baby?

(6 Posts)
attethersend Mon 19-Sep-11 09:25:37

DS2 is 8 months old and entirely bf. He has never really taken a bottle and refuses to do so preferring to go without food and scream for hours instead sad.

DS1 was the same but I didn't go back to work until he was a year old and not really feeding much during the day so it didn't matter. Unexpectedly I find I'll be going back to work earlier this time in about 6 weeks time. He will have to do 3 full days a week at nursery (8.30-5.30) and so I'd like to try and get him used to taking some formula (even if only a little) before he actually starts. We're doing blw so he's not really eating much solid food atm and we can't really rely on filling him full of baby rice to keep him going. Thus far when we offer him a cup he just uses it to mash his food, bang on the table/his own head, hold upside down and chew and because he's bfeeding plenty I hadn't really been bothering to give him water or anything.

I know he'll probably adapt if he has to (if only by being miserable all day and keeping me up feeding all night!), but if I can prepare a little by getting him to take some milk in a sippy cup I'd like to. Has anyone succeeded in doing this and if so how did you go about it?

PS I should say I'm saying formula because expressing takes me forever to produce a tiny amount even though I obviously have a good supply so I don't think that's going to be a practical solution, and it doesn't seem to make any difference to whether he'll drink from anything other than me anyway.

DecapitatedLegoman Mon 19-Sep-11 09:33:30

I tried this at about the same age. She hated the taste I think and I had to ask the CM to coax her a bit. Eventually I gave up and started sending her with full cream cows milk. Problem solved. It's not ideal but she's BFed on demand otherwise so I figured better she has something than nothing. Nutritionally, offering iron-rich foods is probably wise.

I'd not be too worried at this stage, neither of mine have taken much while I've been away but both have been fine. A lot of babies take milk better when there's no mum available. Apparently!

cantmakecarrotcake Mon 19-Sep-11 10:19:08

No advice I'm afraid as I'm attempting the same thing with no success either so I'll be watching this thread in the hope for the magic answer ;-)

Good luck!

AllBellyandBoobs Thu 22-Sep-11 09:50:50

I'm also in a similar position. LO won't take bottles at all, she will drink water from a tip-it-up cup and a doidy but not formula. She also won't take any EBM as mine smells and tastes yucky really very quickly after expressing it (frozen or kept in the fridge). It's fine for now but I'm starting to feel as though I might well be trapped into breastfeeding for ever more which I don't really want to do.

So, I'll cheekily bump this and see if anyone has advice for us aside from the cows milk.

KSal Thu 22-Sep-11 10:45:32

Only advice I can offer is my DS was more receptive at some times than at others... he would have a cup at 11am, so I stuck with that time and offered him a bit every day at that time (I figured when he went to nursery this was probably the time they would feed him)

he needs to be hungry, but not too hungry, so an hour or so before lunch might work for you?

brokensleeper Thu 22-Sep-11 13:50:10

i started mine at 4months.persistence i found helped along with always keeping it in view at hand with a bit of water for her to grab as well as with meals and myself constantly pretending to drink out of the sippy cup! Have you tried somehow to incorporate the milk into her food eg.porridge,mix in mash if you are worried about nutrition?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now