Talk

Advanced search

When your toddler weaned, did they keep asking for milk and having a go at latching for a while afterwards?

(4 Posts)
jaggythistle Sun 18-Sep-11 17:01:50

Hi, DS is two next week and has pretty much stopped feeding over the last couple of months. I guess this was prompted by me cutting out his big morning feed, to see if it was stopping me getting pg. Not sure if it was, but I am now 7 weeks with no 2 after 11 months impatient ttc! grin

Anyway. i just wanted to know if I am doing the right thing by continuing to let DS have a go at latching when he asks?

He asks for milk most days, but mostly he actually seems to mean a cuddle and stories, possibly because this is what I replaced the morning feed with. He generally shows no interset in milk and wriggles off my knee to go and gets a book.

For a while he was latching on long enough to get some milk, but now he either just does it for a second or two, or puts his mouth on and looks a bit puzzled like he's forgotten how. He does this a few times a week

I didn't really mean to wean him, but he's been happy enough so far so I am just going with it. I guess I just want to make it as easy as I can for him with the shock of a sibling in production...

Thanks in advance. smile

WoTmania Sun 18-Sep-11 19:23:34

sounds like normal self weaning to me. DS2 would go a couple of weeks between nursings at the end I think last time was about 3 months ago.

BOMBAYANDMJONICE Sun 18-Sep-11 19:26:31

Message withdrawn

Yes, sounds pretty normal to me. DD gradually weaned herself at about 2.5 years old. I realised that she was taking it when I offered, but not really asking any more, and not taking much anyway most of the time. Someone told me to try "don't offer, don't refuse" and see what happened, we straight away dropped from once a day (bedtime) to once or twice a week and then the end fairly quickly. That way there wasn't a "last feed" for me to feel sad over, I just realised one day that she wasn't going to ask again and that we were done with it. Which was a bit sad in itself! But only for me not her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now