Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping through?

(7 Posts)
Midori1999 Sun 18-Sep-11 06:46:38

My 3 month old EBF baby has gone from waking at maybe 9pm, 1am and 5 am to sleeping from 9 until 7 yesterday and 9 until now (6.30 but I'm going to wake her in a moment, although she's stirring now) last night.

If she keeps this up, which I doubt she will, (she's occasionally slept through the odd night like this before) do I need to worry about my milk supply? I'm so reluctant to wake her as I need the sleep, but don't want the BF to be negatively affected.

If my supply does drop, will I be able to easily increase it again by pumping or feeding more, including at night?

Thanks.

RitaMorgan Sun 18-Sep-11 06:48:21

Have you had any supply problems before? If not it'll be fine - just enjoy the sleep while it lasts!

camdancer Sun 18-Sep-11 08:23:08

I worried about this when DD2 had a good run of sleep a few weeks ago. So I expressed when I woke up in the night at about 1 or 2am. I did that for a few nights until I started sleeping better then stopped. She's started waking at midnight again and it is hard but there seems to be enough until early evening - but then that is normal growth spurt stuff! I think just enjoy the sleep and cope with the growth spurts as they come.

Midori1999 Sun 18-Sep-11 09:52:41

Thankyou. I've never had any supply problems except oversupply and I've also never really noticed any growth spurts either tbh and neither had DD ever cluster fed much. My supply has regulated much more now, but there still seems plenty as DD will rarely take more than one side per feed.

My milk did dry up after 3 weeks with DS 3 though, who I had to exclusively express for. Looking back due to bad advice about when to express and I never expressed at nights as he slept through from birth. I suppose my milk supply was never established then though?

lilham Sun 18-Sep-11 10:15:02

3 weeks is very early. When my DD slept through I just made sure I wore breast pads because I always woke up with hard leaky boobs.grin I didnt express at all. Who wants to go down stairs and get a pump! Now DD woke up again for night feeds and there's no problem with her taking an extra feed. I think we are very adaptable once bf is established.

DomesticGoddess31 Sun 18-Sep-11 13:44:14

ah my 3 mth old had started sleeping through a little while ago but has now reverted back to similar as your DD OP, 9pm, 3am, 6am ish. I was wracking my brains trying to work out how I can get her back to sleeping nicely through but maybe I just need to chill and accept its a growth spurt????

Incidentally, when she was sleeping through there was no way I was goung to get up to express, just dealt with having leaky boobs and expressed a whole feed after feeding DD from smallest side when she woke up. Restocked my freezer hurrah!

I'm same as you, DD rarely takes more than 1 side per feed, but now shes waking in the middle of the night again I have been offering both which sometimes she is taking. She seems like shes getting enough though so thin its all fine. I say don't fret about it and just pray she goes back to sleeping till 7!

Midori1999 Mon 19-Sep-11 13:23:27

Thanks. DD woke twice again last night, so it didn't last. smile

We had had a busy day out though and she didn't feed much, so I'm hoping maybe she'll sleep longer again. Still, that extra, uninterrupted sleep was wonderful!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now