Talk

Advanced search

When to express and introduce bottles when Bfeeding?

(10 Posts)
Snakeears Sat 17-Sep-11 09:09:53

just wondered really... I know it's not advisable to introduce a bottle too soon but also have heard that if you leave it too long they won't take the bottle either... what do you think?

stopgap Sat 17-Sep-11 10:45:13

I'm four weeks postpartum, and introduced a relief bottle last week (expressed milk) with no problems whatsoever. The official advice seems to be 6-8 weeks, but my doula, midwife and paediatrician all suggested the 2-3 week mark, and it worked great for us.

FrumpyPumpy Sat 17-Sep-11 22:55:32

With DS did so at 3-4 weeks and he took it fine. Dd is 12 wks and is refusing after a couple of successful bottled at 6 -8 wks or so. Do it sooner rather than later imo.
Good luck!

RitaMorgan Sat 17-Sep-11 22:58:38

I think it's quite an individual thing - if you feel breastfeeding is established and everything is going well at 4 weeks you might want to try then. However, if you've had initial issues/supply problems/difficulty with latching you may want to wait a little longer.

Milkybrew Sat 17-Sep-11 23:12:46

I was forced to introduce a bottle at ten days old, had completely no choice due to DD having a serious medical condition. Also had to solely express for 3 days to keep my supply up at this point. Thankfully it worked out fine for us, no confusion and she is still breastfed at 4 months. I had worked hard at getting breastfeeding established and sorted out latch problems so I guess this helped. I used the closer to nature bottles as they are meant to be the most breast like.

MrsVidic Sun 18-Sep-11 19:31:13

I would echo those who said sooner rather than later- DD is 6 weeks and we are trying to introduce a bottle of ebm

HandMini Sun 18-Sep-11 21:10:28

We did bottle at 5 weeks due to my v sore nipples needing a rest. My baby took to the bottle fine and did not seem to suffer any "confusion".

We just used standard Avent and Medela teats (although I did spend waste a lot of money on the Medela Calma teat because it is supposed to replicate breastfeeding). My view is that a certain type of teat/bottle is going to make or break it for you.

Start slowly - perhaps just one bottle every few days, and make sure you offer the breast as much as before.

BaaBaaHerdwickSheep Sun 18-Sep-11 21:19:17

Everyone I know who introduced a bottle successfully (including me) did so between 2 and 6 weeks. These were nearly all taking expressed milk, but one or two with formula. ALL BFd for several months beyond that point.

I know a number of people who introduced later and never got the baby to take the bottle. I think as someone above says, if you've had problems with latch etc you may want to wait, but I genuinely don't know anyone who's baby has had 'nipple confusion'.

I'm going to try it tomorrow (5 and a half weeks) so I'll let you know how it goes

BaaBaaHerdwickSheep Tue 20-Sep-11 21:51:40

I should add by the way that for us (at about 4-5 weeks) it didn't cause the remotest issue with BFing, but did take at least a week for DS to comfortably take the bottle. I got DH to do this feed and he did so with a lot more patience than I could have managed. It was SLOW going and a lot of milk got dribbled (or wasted in my view, having spent lots of time expressing!!) and I was worried that this meant he wasn't taking to the bottle and I'd never be able to go out again! However, with a bit of patience and time it was all fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now