Talk

Advanced search

Supporting milk banking in the UK

(18 Posts)
everydropcounts Sat 17-Sep-11 07:12:49

The UK Association for Milk Banking (UKAMB) have received a very generous offer to help raise funds for this small charity which supports and promotes milk banking and the use of donor breastmilk (DBM). UKAMB provides the training that milk bank staff rely on (there are no other sources of training that hospital staff can access) and answers the very many questions from mothers wanting to donate, parents wanting information about DBM and from health professionals. Without UKAMB the current growth in the availability of DBM wouldn't be possible (a new milk bank will open in Bristol soon). The offer is to match donations up to £1000 and has come from 'Makes a Change'. Please follow this link for more info:
www.facebook.com/pages/UKAMB/175639355822576

crikeybadger Sat 17-Sep-11 09:08:49

So that's 100 donations of just £10.00?

I reckon us mumnetters could do that easily... <throws down gauntlet>

I'll be the first to pledge a tenner....anyone else?

entropygirl Sat 17-Sep-11 19:50:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

organiccarrotcake Sat 17-Sep-11 21:33:55

entropy why were you unable to donate? Honestly, there's nothing spurious about the reasons - even though they may seem to be - it's just so important that the milk is safe for the prems even when it's perfectly perfect for your own baby. I know it's really upsetting when your milk can't be accepted but please don't take it personally - believe me, if your milk COULD be safely donated the milk bank would be really, really keen to accept it smile

Here's the fundraising page by the way!

www.justgiving.com/makesachange-ukamb

entropygirl Sat 17-Sep-11 23:12:32

Well you seem implausibly confident that they havent made a mistake with their guidelines so I wont try to convince you. Also this isnt the place for this discussion. In fact how do I remove my previous post? I dont want to distract from the important issue of getting money!

crikeybadger Sun 18-Sep-11 09:33:56

Thanks for helping entropygirl, so that's 20 quid so far.

Anyone else fancy donating to this really worthwhile charity?

Pretty Please?

organiccarrotcake Sun 18-Sep-11 11:35:57

entropy You can ask MN to remove posts if you wish. Certainly a mistake could have been made and in that case I would like to get to the bottom of it as it's desperately important that this doesn't happen. Would you consider PMing me with some info?

What happens is that each milk bank is run independently within its own hospital. UKAMB generates guidelines together with NICE and representatives from the milk banks, and these are the guidelines that milk banks should follow - best practise as it were. If something has gone wrong it's really important that we know about it as it's terrible when a mother is put off by a milk bank for incorrect reasons.

UKAMB desperately needs funds because at the moment it's run by volunteers on an absolute shoe string and it can't do a lot of the things it needs to do. Without UKAMB there could be no milk banks, yet because it's a step back from the front line (ie it's not in the wards with the sick babies) most people, even those who have donated or have received donor milk for their baby, haven't heard of UKAMB.

Despite this, due to the incredible commitment of people, including those who have devoted 20 years of their lives to UKAMB, it has been able to encourage hospitals to re-open milk banks after they were wiped out after the AIDS crisis, and it continues to be the only central resource available to existing milk banks and to hospitals who have paeds who will use donor milk.

The focus of the charity currently is to raise awareness of the reasons why breastmilk saves the lives of premature babies, and therefore why milk banks are an essential part of healthcare in this country. At the same time we're trying to encourage more hospitals to open milk banks - and for more paeds to use donor milk even if it means getting it in from a milk bank in a different hospital, if they don't have one.

We can't do this without raising more funds. Thanks to Makes a Change we've got a real opportunity to make a massive difference to the way milk banking is available in this country. Please do consider making a donation so that Makes a Change will double it. Share the link on Facebook!

www.justgiving.com/makesachange-ukamb

entropygirl Sun 18-Sep-11 15:29:58

okay Im in again! so thats 20 quids from me...just to make up for inadvertent sabotage...
Carrot I have Pmed you.

entropygirl Sun 18-Sep-11 15:30:45

also bump....

crikeybadger Sun 18-Sep-11 19:33:30

grin Cheers entropygirl.

organiccarrotcake Sun 18-Sep-11 21:17:05

Hurrah! That's £10 - doubled to £20 thanks to Makes a Change smile Thank you so much!

Thanks for your message entropy. Hope the reply makes sense as I wrote it while watching Spooks and didn't read it through before sending smile

entropygirl Sun 18-Sep-11 22:50:33

oohh spooks - I have some to watch too. As long as I read the reply while watching Im sure it will be okay.

We should find a way to shunt this thread onto AIBU...seems to get more exposure...

organiccarrotcake Mon 19-Sep-11 09:07:12

"As long as I read the reply while watching Im sure it will be okay."

LOL grin

Hmm, AIBU - not sure what title we could give it though!! AIBU to want to ask for donations?! wink

entropygirl Mon 19-Sep-11 11:44:35

Yeah! why not - although get the cause in the title also....'AIBU to ask for 10 of your british pounds to support getting breast milk to premature babies?'

organiccarrotcake Mon 19-Sep-11 18:51:33

I s'pose so really! I'll give it a go smile

entropygirl Fri 07-Oct-11 13:32:18

hmm this didnt seem to make it....got punted to charities?

organiccarrotcake Fri 07-Oct-11 14:59:06

Yes, twice! Shame as it got some great coverage and lots of donations from generous MNers smile

entropygirl Sat 08-Oct-11 23:04:17

Yay more money excellent! Okay I think this is probably the last shameless bump I can think of...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now