Talk

Advanced search

Colic caused by my antibiotics? Will it stop when I finish taking them?

(6 Posts)
MrsBloomingTroll Thu 15-Sep-11 19:25:44

Does anyone have experience of colic caused by antibiotics you were taking whilst bfing? Did it stop when you finished the course?

DS is 4 weeks and colic started two days ago, when I started taking antibiotics for a debilitating chest infection. I had tried really hard to avoid antibiotics but was getting very little sleep and kept waking him up with my coughing. I'm asthmatic and GP said I was at risk of an attack without taking something.

I dealt with colic with DD (now 3) for a few weeks after she had a virus at 4 months old and it was so hard. Know all the tips and tricks, so that's not the issue. Just finding it very hard to cope with DS crying and in pain with DD around, not wanting to wake her up in the night etc. DH isn't able to give me much respite as he has a full-on job these days and gets home late. At least he was there to help with DD when she had it.

If it's likely to end when my course of antibiotics ends, in a week, then it would just about be bearable. [hopeful emoticon]

Kudos and big hugs to anyone who has coped with colic for longer - it's hell on earth!

Haggisfish Thu 15-Sep-11 20:37:30

Yes, IME, about 24 hours after you finish taking them. You can get probiotic powders to take to help stop thrush.

MrsBloomingTroll Fri 16-Sep-11 02:12:53

Thank you for your reply!

I am so hopeful that you're right...

saldoozer Fri 16-Sep-11 15:20:41

I had the same problem when I got an I infection 6 days post delivery, dd was screaming for hours. She was so small too, she took a couple of days and then seemed better. Hope you feel better soon

MrsBloomingTroll Sat 17-Sep-11 13:54:34

Thank you! The blasted cough is dying a slow, lingering death, but still very much with me and annoying the heck out of my DH.

DS was a bit better last night, but we have been making the last feed of the evening a formula one to help him, so I can't tell if that's what has made the difference or if he's getting used to the antibiotics now. He seems to have been shifting his wind quite impresively today!

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 22-Sep-11 19:10:08

Thought I would come back to update a week on.

Colic settled down a bit after 3-4 days. Still some screaming, but not as long. Last feed being formula definitely helped him sleep better. And tummy massage, warm bath, dummy, colic hold, etc.

Sadly the antibiotics failed to kill the cough and so I was back to the GP yesterday for a more potent brew, but this time GP was careful to choose ones with less known impact for bf babies. Will need to go on stronger asthma steroids longer-term sad

24 hours on I am feeling almost cured and slept well last night but DS now upset again....green explosive poo that stinks and he has just conked out after a screaming fit, no doubt gearing up for next one, poor mite! He showed no effects yesterday, guess there was a delay.

Anyway, am convinced it's the meds, as was my GP, and it did seem to get better after a few days.

In a week I hope to be able to report back that we are both fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now