Talk

Advanced search

Help me please! Need to stop breastfeeding but my 5month old wont take a bottle!

(11 Posts)
poppywear Wed 14-Sep-11 14:34:14

Hi there

I know this is often discussed but i could really do with some help and advice on what to do for the best as i have hit a brick wall!

I have a 5 month old who is breastfed and I have come to the point where i need to stop breastfeeding her. I know breastfeeding is best and i have given it a good go (5 months worth when i nearly gave up at week 1!) but i now really need to stop. My problem is, my baby wont take a bottle. She wont take a beaker either. I tried expressing too but that still doesnt work.

Ive tried to be brave and just go cold turkey and hope she'll take it if shes hungry, but i always end up giving in as i cant stand upsetting her! She has gone 8 hours without a feed before i then gave in.

Should i just stop breastfeeding her and not give in?
I have a range of bottles but she hates them all, should i just pick one i want to use and stick to it?
I have Aptamil, which she hates but ive tried the others and she hates them too, should i just stick to Aptamil?

Sorry its such a long post!!

SurprisEs Wed 14-Sep-11 14:45:19

I'd stick to one type of bottle and formula as you need consistency and to familiarise your baby with a different feeding method. Don't confuse her more then she is.

My daughter liked her milk warmer then the "norm" and I heard other bfed babies are like that. Don't get to stressed (easy to say) as it will probably unsettle your baby even more.

Try mixing a bottle with her toys and see if curiosity kills the cat.

Try feeding her sitting with her back against your stomach and the tv on. Might distract her.
Good luck

poppywear Wed 14-Sep-11 14:55:10

Thanks, the tv idea sounds good! She's happy to put the teat of the bottle in her mouth but just chews on it or moves it around her mouth. As soon as the taste of formula comes out she's totally put off and will no longer entertain the idea of it in her mouth. Shes a fussy little monkey!

BertieBotts Wed 14-Sep-11 14:55:49

Have you tried latex teats - the old fashioned brown coloured ones. This is the only thing any of my friends with bottle refusers ever got to work.

She will be on solids soon and her milk intake will start to reduce, she might also be more able to take a cup. Try not to worry smile

Mampig Wed 14-Sep-11 14:59:17

Good advice! Have u tried bm from a bottle and also heating the teat to body temp? Some people find old fashioned brown teats work better too. Also dp doing feeds with u away from house might help?? Would give u a break anyway. Really hope u get a solution- can be heartbreaking when this happens!

MysteriousHamster Wed 14-Sep-11 14:59:52

I wanted to give my DS formula in the day when I went back to work but he would scream at the taste of it. Not terribly helpful for you, but I could only express enough for two small bottles and though he wouldn't take formula from me, when he saw other babies getting an extra bottle late in the day, he suddenly decided he'd have some after all - so maybe get someone else to offer him bottles when you are not around so he can't think you're an option.

It is hard. My son is 1 now and doesn't have any bf in the day any more but is not interested in weaning overnight yet. I've enjoyed it, but sigh!

Mampig Wed 14-Sep-11 15:02:40

Also meant to add mixing bm with formula initially - more bm initially- and gradually increasing ratio of fm to bm so eventually it's just fm...

MockingbirdsNotForSale Wed 14-Sep-11 15:21:05

Often bf'd babies prefer ready made formula to dried then mix up yourself stuff.

mummy22gorgeousboys Wed 14-Sep-11 21:04:46

Well, I know exactly what you're going through - it sounds the same as my first Son. I tried different milks and bottles and he would rather go hungry than drink the formula!

However - we decided on a bottle and a milk and stuck to it. Hipp organic is great and it's cheaper than Aptimil, SMA etc.

We refused to feed Alfie between set hours when we knew he would be due a feed. We did 5pm-10.30pm as this was when I was at work after maternity leave so he physically couldn't have any milk from ye olde boob while I was at work.

My husband attempted to give him the bottle during this window, usually lay down on his change mat or in bed. Alfie wouldn't take a bottle while being held for a long time, it seemed as though if he was held he expected breastmilk.

I have to say it was very stressful at the time but it worked. We gradually increased the window of refusing breast milk (over 2 months) until he took the bottle completely.

Also, as SurprisEs said - Alfie preferred it quite warm - rather than luke warm.

And as she is 5 months now maybe (dare I say it) put a little something like banana breakfast (just 1 scoop of the smooth breakfast) in with her milk to make it taste slightly sweeter and reduce / remove it when she is taking a bottle easier. I will probably be slated for that comment, but again it worked for me!

Good luck and your LO will take the bottle eventually it's just one of those parent hurdles I'm afraid.

christiannaaaaaa Thu 15-Sep-11 22:10:42

some good tips , I shall put some to practice, my son is 13months and still does not like formula,tried weaning him off and he settle for juice, the only time he has his b milk is at bedtime, hopefully he will grow out of it soon,

SurprisEs Thu 15-Sep-11 22:24:58

christianaaaaa I stopped bfeeding at 13 months but my daughter was already taking formula during the day which made it easier. I found that as soon as she showed signs of wanting the breast I had to distract her. After a few weeks she seemed to forget it was there.

IMO formula smells and tastes horrible. Being that the baby is 13 months would you consider full fat cows milk? Might prefer the taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now