Talk

Advanced search

Prenatal Expressing

(3 Posts)
MissRee Mon 12-Sep-11 16:37:26

Hi ladies

I've been doing a bit of research today (it's quiet at work!) on expressing before baby comes along. What I read basically confirmed that if you start expressing before baby arrives, it won't bring on labour unless your body is ready (ripening of cervix if term but does not induce labour or alter length of labour).

My question is, has anybody tried this? Did your hospital allow you to take the expressed colostrum with you to hospital ready for when baby is born?

Thank in advance

Ria x

hiss42 Mon 12-Sep-11 16:54:34

Heya,
I was expressing colostrum from 36weeks and had to be induced at 2 weeks overdue! think it's one of those things like the hormones in sex brings on labour, it only happens if you're ready! I did it into the sink, purely because my boobs we're so uncomfortable and full for some reason.
I would say to you that it is so unnecessary!! If you're already leaking enough to be thinking about expressing then you probably don't need to worry!
You need to freeze expressed colostrum/milk and I was moved to about 4 different rooms from labour/induction/recovery/post-natal, there is no way a hospital staff rushing round after babies has time to accomodate this for you!
There's no need!

Notanexcitingname Mon 12-Sep-11 21:10:54

If you have reason to believe your baby may go to special care, then it is advised. Mothers with gestational diabetes and previous pre-term deliveries are advised to express antenatally.

I don't imagine it would be worth the faff if a normal, term delivery is anticipated. There's not often a need to give expressed milk to well, term babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now