Talk

Advanced search

Advice Needed Please - Milk Supply Late Coming In

(4 Posts)
LearningFast Mon 12-Sep-11 15:13:26

Please can anyone offer any advice on what I can / should do in this situation?

I had my first baby on Wednesday (so he is 6 days old today), with a difficult delivery (home birth which transferred to hospital for forceps and then a C-section). This resulted in my son being quite jaundiced at first and also quite mucous-y, and was also diagnosed with a tongue tie - all of which contributed to him getting a slow start to feeding. We persevered (!) and the tongue tie was sorted out on day 3 and he appears to now have a good latch, and is producing wet and dirty nappies.

The problem now is that I still don't have the signs I would have expected to indicate that my milk supply has come in. The baby does not make 'gulping' sounds when he first latches on, nor does he show signs of taking dribbly milk. I am worried that this is really quite late - does anyone else have experience of this and is there anything I can be doing to help things along?

Many thanks in advance...

peedieworky Mon 12-Sep-11 16:27:19

Hi - apols as typing one handed. I had almost same story! ECS, TT snipped day 7. Milk came in day 6-7. Didn't experience engorgement or owt (baby permanently clamped to boob). Just woke in panic at 2am as he'd been sleeping 4 hours! That'd be the milk then grin.

I did loads skin to skin on advice of BF peer supporter. Dunno if helped but worth a try and was only thing settled DS.

Good luck and hope you recover from birth quickly!

porcamiseria Wed 14-Sep-11 15:28:38

mine took ages, it was a nightmare as took 5 days and DS2 was BIG nearly 10lbs and hungry

just keep offerng him boob and eventually it will come through

you will know when milk comes as boobs will get big and engorged and start spurting!

you may not need to do this, but DS 2 got so bloody hungry that I dripped some Formul onto my nipples, he sucked off them and got some food and slept. this was day 4 and he was screaming till 3am!

hand on in there xx

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 15-Sep-11 11:12:18

Just wondering how you are getting on now Learning. Are you happy with his feeding? What does the MW say?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now