Talk

Advanced search

How to stop a 2 year old breastfeeding in 2 weeks!

(8 Posts)
Lauracassius Mon 12-Sep-11 11:35:10

I am still feeding my 2 year old and I am going to give birth in 1 month.

He still feeds at night and lots if we are at home during the day, I am scared both babies are going to wake at different times and I am not being able to cope.

We don't have any family near to help (we haven't even had a night out since 2 year old was born) and feel I need to be as best prepared I can.

Any suggestions appreciated.

WoTmania Mon 12-Sep-11 12:01:13

Eeek, Have you seen the breastfeeding while pregnant thread ?

I don't want to be negative but if you stop now it might cause some resentment and feelings of being pushed out in your 2 yo.

Books-wise there is this book on weaning and this this on tandem nursing.

It's possible, I've got to post and run as my (until very recently tandem nursing) 4 yo is going to school in a mo.

Hope those links help. Tandem nursing is possible if you want o do it. What about night weaning (look up DR. Sears and Dr. J Gordon) your 2 yo and carrying on in the day then you could split nighttime paretnig to DH= toddler you= newborn.

TheRealMBJ Mon 12-Sep-11 12:52:50

Hi Laura congratulations on the impending birth.

I am in a similar position, DS is 21 months and still feeding and I am due on the 18th of October. WoT has linked to our support thread. There are a few of us on it, some due shortly , like you and me, and others who are only in the first trimester.

I also have massive fears as to how I'm going to cope, especially at the beginning and as we still co-sleep (with DS sleeping mostly clinging onto me. Eek!) but he no longer feeds at night.

EauRouge is tandem feeding her DDs and has found it to be a great help with reducing sibling rivalry, I think that her DD1 was night weaned before DD2 arrived, but they abandoned it once the littlest one arrived as it made life easier for her.

As you may not have time to read all of 'Adventures' perhaps you would like to have a look at this on Kellymom, it is quite a good resource for pregnancy and tandem feeding.

Please do come have a look at the other thread, we are a lovely bunch and will support you whichever route you decide to take.

willowstar Mon 12-Sep-11 21:13:43

I came on here to ask a very similar question. I am still feeding my 23 month old to sleep and she has complete melt down when I try to stop it...I am due to give birth in January and have no familiy around and a husband who works silly long hours. very worried how I will cope and not sure if I should try to stop feeding her altogether (though I have no milk there at all anyway!) or keep going and hope it all works out. I tried to limit her tonight and she crawled after me in her sleepy sack bawling her eyes out and shouting 'mummy milk'. I hated it. not sure what to do.

marge2 Mon 12-Sep-11 21:17:40

I had had enough by 18 months with DS2. I just stopped one day. I knew he would scream and he did, but I stuck to my guns and it only took a few days till he got the idea.

TheRealMBJ Mon 12-Sep-11 21:57:00

willow do come and join us in the pregnancy and bf thread.

My advice for night weaning is to wait until you are ready to do it. It is can be very, very difficult and if you are not prepared to 'be firm' I feel it is unfair on them. We had 3 or so attempts at it and in the end I think it was a combination of me just not being able to take the night feeds any longer and being very determined not to give in AND DS being ready to stop. It was much less traumatic in the end, than I had anticipated. We used a modified version of Dr Jay's method that I linked to above.

I also think that it helps to prepare the older child by talking to them about the new baby, reading books about the new baby, how the new baby will need lots of milk because they can't eat anything else and how the child will need to stop feeding (at night/day/both). Much kinder to prepare the for what is coming than to suddenly deny them without warning, IYSWIM?

Like I said above, do come and join us on the pg and bf thread. We really are a friendly understanding bunch.

TheRealMBJ Mon 12-Sep-11 21:59:04

Oops, I must have linked to this on another thread and gotten confused

Lauracassius Wed 14-Sep-11 11:16:02

thanks for the advice, going to have a look at that thread and hope for the best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now