Talk

Advanced search

Is 6 week growth spurt a myth??

(6 Posts)
beckieperk Mon 12-Sep-11 07:59:52

I'm sure I've read that babies go through a growth spurt at 6 weeks. Have any of you ladies experienced this?! My ds is ff and used to go 3 hours between feeds sometimes 4/5 at night....I'm now lucky if he goes 1.5 hours day and night. He generally has one good sleep in any 24 hrs and at the moment that is 10oclock ish in the morning. I'm pretty sure this is normal....but I just wanted to hear others experiences. And wonder how long it will last? At his last weigh in 2 weeks ago he was 11lb 4oz.....so he's a big boy. Looking forward to hearing your tales. Thanks.

AngelDog Mon 12-Sep-11 09:33:22

Really normal. DS's one lasted from 6 weeks to 7.5 weeks. He didn't feed that much more often, but was very fussy and grumpy the whole time and struggled to sleep.

There's also a big developmental leap at around 6 weeks (from their EDD, not birth date) , and early baby unsettledness & not-sleeping usually peaks around 6-8 weeks.

Elsjas Mon 12-Sep-11 10:38:44

I found completely the opposite. Dd1 fed a lot at night until about six weeks when she suddenly started sleeping from 11pm to 6am without needing a feed and her daytime feeds got longer and less frequent.

However, she went backwards at ten weeks of age and started waking in the night again for a couple of weeks before settling back down again. DD1 wasn't as big as your son though so maybe her growth spurt just happened a bit later when she reached that sort of weight.

peedieworky Mon 12-Sep-11 10:56:55

Every baby is different but I still shudder when remember my DS's 6 week growth spurt! Started just before 6 weeks and lasted a week or so. First he upped the day feeds to hourly then for the last couple days he did the same at night. I was a broken woman! Think is no coincidence he started smiling around same time as otherwise he'd have ended up on ebay!

peedieworky Mon 12-Sep-11 10:57:50

..he put on 1lb that week I should add!

beckieperk Tue 13-Sep-11 07:37:09

My ds has just put on 1.5 lbs in 2 weeks....which the hv says is fine. He is now not finishing his bottles at each feed but waking for 2 feeds in the night and going about 2 hours between feeds in the day....and sleeping in big chunks in the day too?!?! Which he never did before. Think his day may have turned upside down! He is still having colicky symptoms and really bad bottom wind....which causes him extreme discomfort for short periods of the day....wondering if this might be the root of my ds's problems? He does show signs of distress whilst feeding (squirming, whimpering, kicking and sometimes crying).sad
Any ideas?smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now