Talk

Advanced search

Expressed milk - storage and giving to baby

(4 Posts)
OrangeGloss Mon 12-Sep-11 05:33:30

I'm needing to express at the end of feeds to increase production, and offer to lo as top up if wanted. Each time I express do I need to store in a new container, or can I add it to a single pot? I would bear in mind storage time limits so the earliest would set the max date if that makes sense?!

I have a cup but wondered if a syringe or dropper could be more effective but the MW said use a cup

Sorry if obvious I'm new to this

TheRealMBJ Mon 12-Sep-11 06:17:41

Good leaflet about expressing and storing of breast milk from the BfN.

You can add milk expressed during the course of a day to the same pot BUT you should first chill each bit down to the same temp before adding it together. Does that make sense?

May I ask more about needing to increase your supply? How old is your baby, why is there a question about your supply, etc? As there are other ways of increasing your supply which is more effective than using a breast pump. Such as switch feeding. Kellymom has very good information about this.

It would be great if you could see a breastfeeding counsellor or lactation consultant. Do you have a local support group you could attend, where there is one present?

TanteRose Mon 12-Sep-11 06:25:02

also, remember that expressing is no indicator of how much milk you are producing, and some women find it very difficult to express any amount at all

ditto what TheRealMBJ says about why you were given this advice?

the best thing to increase production is to offer your baby your breast - if they are newborn, then you should be putting them to the breast 15 to 20 times a day, to stimulate production.

OrangeGloss Mon 12-Sep-11 08:51:13

Thanks for the replies, some good advice and links. He was weighed by the MW yesterday who said that whilst he hasn't lost anything he hasn't really gained since his day 3 weight-in. She said expressing after feeding should increase supply, and I may as well offer this to him in case he's hungry.

The last few days he's been feeding at least 15 times with some feeds lasting an hour and half.

I'm offering both breasts but he only has under 10 mins from each sometimes so I'm worried he's only getting foremilk. He also at one point refused to feed from my left breast but he's just had a few minutes so I suppose that's progress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now