Talk

Advanced search

Thrush?

(9 Posts)
fizzypigs Sun 11-Sep-11 22:52:56

I've just noticed a red rash (almost like a bruise) next to the nipple on one of my breasts - does this sound like thrush? Any suggestions for dealing with it? Baby is 5wks old. Thanks!

Iamjustthemilkmachine Sun 11-Sep-11 23:30:26

I was told thrush was white. I'm sure someone who knows will be here soon. Congrats on your baby.here soon. Congrats on your baby.

Iamjustthemilkmachine Sun 11-Sep-11 23:31:31

Sorry, phone does that sometimes.

MrsRhettButler Sun 11-Sep-11 23:33:40

I don't remember it being like that, if you do have thrush your baby's tongue will be covered in white stuff so take a look, I'd check with a doc though anyway just in case smile

MrsJasonBourne Sun 11-Sep-11 23:42:57

If you've got thrush the main symptom is usually excruciating pain in your nipples when breastfeeding, rather like passing glass shards through your nipples.

If you've got no pain as yet, just get a midwife or health visitor to have a quick look.

The first thing I knew was wrong was the pain when feeding. Don't think there were any patches of discolour or bruises.

hiss42 Mon 12-Sep-11 17:08:50

no I've got thrush at the mo and it doesn't sound like it! BUT DC doesn't need to be showing signs unlike what MrsRhettButler said.

I have badly cracked nipples that are red round the edge but the actual nipple is pale (not bright white). The skin around my nipple looks as though its almost peeling like sunburn. On top of that feeding is EXCRUCIATING!! it does feel like glass. Mine has spread to my milk ducts and after feeding there is a deep throbbing/stabbing pain inside the breast!

I've had it three times now, and my DS has never had it! This time round I asked for drops for his mouth just in case but I've not used them as he has no symptoms.

I've also got mastitis at the mo (great week for bf!!!). it wasn't painful for a few days, but its like a red area of my breast next to my nipple so it osunds much moer like that! is it painful or hot to the touch?

fizzypigs Mon 12-Sep-11 18:16:44

It's a bit tender & when I've just been feeding putting clothes over it is a bit uncomfortable. Might be the beginnings of mastitis. Is it worth going to the drs now? What do they do for mastitis?

MrsJasonBourne Mon 12-Sep-11 23:44:58

I had a friend with mastitis once who nearly passed out with pain at the wheel of her car whilst driving to the doctors.

Breastfeeding really is actually quite shit sometimes!

hiss42 Tue 13-Sep-11 07:30:36

yeah i'd definately go. it could just be a blocked duct but go and get antibiotics before it develops into full mastitis! like i said at first mine sounded like yours, a red patch which went a bit tender. within 24 hours i had a fever and was in agony!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now