Talk

Advanced search

Really painful to feed 12 month old what can it be?

(27 Posts)
YesYes Sun 11-Sep-11 17:54:00

hi I would really appreciate some help

I am still feeding my 12 month old and intend to continue for a while longer but it's really painful at the moment. I've never felt pain like it despite feeding DS til he was 18 months old and (now) DD til 12 months old

DD has four teeth and it feels as though she is rubbing her teeth on my nipples when she's feeding although this hasn't only started since she's had teeth

Ive had a read up of the mumsnet notes on feeding and the only thing that seems to fit is thrush although I cannot see any white patches on DD's tounge. I can see some small cracks where my nipples join my areole (sp). I've tried feeding from just one side to let the other side heal and then try the other side but eventually it becomes painful again.

Looking at the mumsnet notes I think I need to apply breast milk or lanisoh (is that right?) to my nipples and let them dry and make an appointment with my Dr which I can do on wednesday

Thinking about it, it probably is thrush as I've recently finished a course of antibiotics

Any thoughts or ideas really appreciated.

RitaMorgan Sun 11-Sep-11 18:49:25

If you've just finished a course of anti-biotics then it could be thrush. Is it just your nipples which are painful, not pain inside the breast? I'd just get some canestan over the counter for it.

You might need to treat your DD with daktarin oral gel too, or she could just pass it back to you even without symptoms. I think you can probably get that over the counter too. And watch out for thrush nappy rash.

TribbleWithoutACause Sun 11-Sep-11 18:52:03

I've had this recently (exact same circumstances), DS has four teeth and it only hurts on one boob. I went and got a thrush tablet from the chemist and got some cream to apply for two weeks. It seems to have helped, along with lansinoh and application of warm flannel.

With the tablet, I checked online on the breastfeeding network and they seemed to say that taking the tablet was ok as the milk transfer was negiable.

Sorry I can't spell.

RitaMorgan Sun 11-Sep-11 19:04:33

I'd probably avoid milk and lansinoh and just keep your nipples clean and dry - thrush thrives in warm, moist places and feeds on sugar. Also make sure you change your bra every day and hot wash it, and sterilise any bottles or dummies your dd uses.

YesYes Sun 11-Sep-11 19:40:32

Thanks so much for your replies

It's more of a nipple pain than inside and I can't feel any lumps of bumps (mastitis)

Great advice about the over the counter stuff too as it is so painful and the thought of waiting until Wednesday to see a dr doesn't bear thinking about.

Will get to the chemist tomorrow (asap!) and will start hot washing the bras

Feeding dd as I type owwwww

What are nappy thrush symptoms, just so I can keep an eye out?

RitaMorgan Sun 11-Sep-11 19:46:20

A red/bumpy/splotchy rash - it won't improve with normal nappy creams. You can get daktarin cream for it.

I found once we started treating it properly it cleared up in a couple of days.

YesYes Sun 11-Sep-11 19:55:19

Thank you ritamorgan smile

discrete Sun 11-Sep-11 19:59:28

If it is thrush putting some baking soda on it and on baby's tongue (if there are any white patches) can help too (at least until you can get to the chemist.

YesYes Sun 11-Sep-11 21:08:03

Thank you discrete I'm definitely going to try that now (although dd is asleep) I guess I just make it up into a paste?

organiccarrotcake Mon 12-Sep-11 10:11:34

Avoid Canestan on your nipples - it's not designed for that. Dactarin CREAM for your nipples and GEL for your baby's mouth is correct topical treatment.

organiccarrotcake Mon 12-Sep-11 10:12:10

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BfN_Thrush_leaflet_Feb_2009.pdf

RitaMorgan Mon 12-Sep-11 10:19:07

Canestan is just clotrimazole though isn't it? Why is that unsuitable for nipples?

TheNationalTruss Mon 12-Sep-11 10:22:44

Have your periods come back yet?

Just another thought. When my period was due, my supply dipped (and later dd reported the milk tasted different) so dd would suck vociferously and become sloppy with her latch. I always knew my period was imminent when my nipples became unbearably sore while feeding.

YesYes Mon 12-Sep-11 17:49:30

Thanks again for all your replies

I've come back just to give you and update and get some more advice if possible

Last night after dd was asleep I put dry baking powder on my nipples (that sounds crazy!) it stung a little bit but I'm not sure much has changed. DD had a very restless night (was it a full moon) and several times woke to feed but didn't actually feed, just suckled which was very very painful. I can only describe it as feeling like my head is going to explode! It's not just where the small cracks are but all over

I found an unopened tube of canesten in my first aid box (as you do) and applied that to my nipples this morning and lunchtime. I've been at work today so don't know if it will be painful when I feed dd but suspect it will be nipples are indeed still sore

At lunchtime I went to the chemist and the pharmacist said that she couldn't sell me anything over the counter for this, she would need me to chat with my dr and have the dr suggest what I should apply/take. I called my dr and she said really she cannot suggest anything and I would need to see her. The first appointment I can have is weds am as I'm at work all day tomorrow (which does help in some respects as I'm not frequently feeding dd)

I'm on my way home now and I think what I'll do is clean my nipples before I feed dd and then reapply some more cream after she is asleep (do you think this is a bad idea?)

Interestingly ive been feelIng very ill and lethargic lately and wonder if this could have something to do with it? Could I now have an infection?

As for periods no I havent got one yet.they didn't come back until DS was a year old so they may be imminent but I do have polycystic ovarian syndrome so it's hard to say as they never are or were regular. If it is simply just periods coming back and there is no way to stop or treat this there is no way I could continue as the pain is unbearable sad

Any further advice or help would be much appreciated. I'll check in later to let you know how feeding dd is tonight. Thanks for all your replies. I'm just about to have a look at that breastfeeding network link

YesYes Mon 12-Sep-11 17:58:19

Ive just read the bfn leaflet thanks so much for linking that organic carrotcake I'm going to print that off for dr to have a look at

I'm so sad. It feels like it's going to take ages to sort this out, I doubt whether the dr will have a clue what to do and in the meantime the pain is inbearable.

Not to mention it's not as simple as putting dd on formula as she is allergic to dairy sad

TheRealMBJ Mon 12-Sep-11 18:03:15

YesYes if it is thrush, you'll feel a response within 48 hrs but most breastfeeders find that they feel a million times better a few hours after the loading dose of fluconazole.

If you are feeling flu-y and have cracks, and a temperature and the pain is in the breast it might be mastitis.

If you still have only nipple pain and feel exhausted, and flu-y with no temp, you might want to consider pregnancy. Have you tested?

RitaMorgan Mon 12-Sep-11 18:15:45

The first time ds and I had thrush it took weeks to sort out because of much messing about with GPs and HVs who didn't know what they were doing.

Second time, I recognised it immediately (itchy pink cracked nipples, feeding feeling like ds had shards of glass in his mouth!) and treated both him and me with leftover canestan and daktarin gel - much improved within a couple of days. I also got a canestan tablet over the counter, but can't really say if it was necessary or not. Gone within a week.

YesYes Mon 12-Sep-11 21:17:00

thanks once again smile

ok first off definitely not pregnant - no chance! - no sex for months, literally!

it's hard to say what it could be because there is nothing different or usual about my nipples (thrush) or tenderness, lumps etc (mastitis)

but I do think it's thrush; the hard shards of glass in the mouth definitely ring true! again it was very painful to feed DD tonight but she's asleep now and i'm at work tomorrow, so not many feeds until drs appt Wednesday

the breastfeeding network leaflet did say a canesten tablet would be prescribed (fluconazole) alongside the oral stuff. that leaflet is really helpful and I'm going to take it to the drs with me as hopefully she will prescribe it to me then.

will keep you posted

YesYes Wed 14-Sep-11 12:05:08

hi all well still v painful to feed, so much so that I couldn't feed DD last night.

Went to the drs this morning and she prescribed daktarin cream for my nipples, I also asked if she could prescribed the tablet (fluconazole) and she did, so thanks for that advice.

The only thing that I found odd was that she didn't prescribe anything for DD, even though I suggested Daktarin oral gel, as she couldn't see anything in her mouth. Seemed a bit odd to me as surely DD can just give the thrush back to me??

May ask at the chemist if I can buy the daktarin gel over the counter?? I really do not want this to come back EVER!

TheRealMBJ Wed 14-Sep-11 12:33:07

I don't think you can get it OTC but perhaps just ring your GP and ask for a script. You really do need both have to be treated.

organiccarrotcake Wed 14-Sep-11 12:52:53

Did you get the correct dose of fluconazole? It explains this in the leaflet.

The good news is that if it's thrush the pain should clear up within a day or so. In the meantime much sympathy as it's absolutely horrendous, isn't it sad

YesYes Wed 14-Sep-11 21:26:31

hi guys just an update. went to pharmacy and checked first whether it was cheaper to buy any of the items otc as opposed to using the script and yes indeed they all were! bit annoying really as it seems if I had seen different pharmacist at the start of the week I could quite possibly have bought it all there and then. ho hum I guess its best to see dr just in case and not self-diagnose.

anyway, I was also able to buy the daktarin oral gel over the counter too and the pharmacist was fine with that, even when explaining it was for (one year old) DD

however - really annoying - I've just re-read the leaflet as you suggested organiccarrotcake and the dr has only prescribed (I only bought) one 150mg dose of fluconazole and nothing else - I'm not sure that this is enough now, the leaflet states that I should take 50-100mg twice a day for 10 days.

I think I may try to get an appointment at the drs tomorrow am to get a further prescription for the further tablets - do you think this is a good idea or should I just see how I get on with this tablet? Just wondering how necessary you think it is

The pain hasn't really eased yet but then I wasn't expecting it to in just one afternoon. The leaflet says symptoms should clear within two days so I'll use that as a guide. I've just tried to lessen the pain by feeding DD less

and thanks for the sympathy organiccarrotcake, my goodness you're right the pain is nothing I've ever felt before and nothing I hope to encounter in the future ever again!

But as ever, thank goodness for mumsnet and all your kind advice, I've no idea what I would have done without you I certainly don't think I would have been as close to sorting the problem as I am now without you, thank you smile

RitaMorgan Wed 14-Sep-11 21:31:57

If it's just nipple/surface pain then you may well be fine just with the cream - I think it's more if you have breast thrush you need a course of fluconazole.

YesYes Wed 14-Sep-11 21:43:03

hi ritamorgan - hmmm hard to say if it's just nipple surface pain, I think it is although I want to say it's breast pain as it's so so painful!

did you say that you took just one dose of fluconazole and that seemed to clear it up?

I guess I could see if there is much change at all in the morning - anything- and then decide whether to call the dr

RitaMorgan Wed 14-Sep-11 21:53:27

I did, but I was using canestan cream and daktarin on ds so it could have been that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now