Talk

Advanced search

bf & ahem itching...

(4 Posts)
sleepdodger Sat 10-Sep-11 23:31:49

blush I bf my ds except for 1 ff at 730 pre bed, and for last 2 nights have had an itch whispers down there... which I think may be thrush as I had it alot pre and during pregnancy, espc when dehydrated.....
so how do I treat it as the usual remedies arent suitable for nursing mums...
I'd rather cast over mn besfore facing the spotty teen pharmacy assistant in boots tomorrow as the only on duty pharmacy.....
thanks

NotQuiteCockney Sun 11-Sep-11 07:38:01

Which drugs are the standard ones for treatment of vaginal thrush? I know fluconazole is ok for breastfeeding mums (it's given for treatment of breast thrush).

EauRouge Sun 11-Sep-11 08:35:32

I had thrush when DD1 was born and I was told not to take the canesten pill but the pessary was OK. I would double-check anyway in case they've changed it. Your HV might know. Could it just be dryness? That can happen with new babies, especially if you've been using those massive maternity pads.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 11-Sep-11 08:42:23

Yes, fluconazole isn't licensed for use in BF mothers (which is to say, the company hasn't bothered testing it on them) but all evidence shows that it is fine. It is used regularly for breast thrush.

Hopefully, if you've noticed the thrush early, then the cream alone will sort it out anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now