Talk

Advanced search

Stopping br feeding...

(14 Posts)
pugh Sat 10-Sep-11 10:56:01

how?

Ok. So I had issues. I have tried. I have a cracked nipple. Milk has arrived and latch diff,driving me to tears, DS not getting enough, bottle top up buying time and sanity, ds struggling with nipple shield etc.

Anyway. Going to stop. Not remotely beating myself up.

But don't want to get mastitis. How do I stop? Have been giving him 'little' feeds to take worst of pressure off. Maybe hand express in shower and just up the ff?

Any advice appreciated. Sore as heck.

Cheers.

MigGril Sat 10-Sep-11 11:08:23

You may think this is odd advice, but if you really want to stop and wante to make sure you do it without coursing any problems for you. It really is good to speck to a BF counciler, they are trained to help you do what is right for you and if that means stopping then they will help you with that to.

A chat to some one on the helplines would be a good idea. espicaly as feeding seem's to be a little all over the place and you deffantly don't want to end up with mastitis.

www.nhs.uk/Planners/breastfeeding/Pages/help-and-support.aspx

tiktok Sat 10-Sep-11 11:11:47

Agree with miggril - talk to someone, as there's no 'one size fits all' solution. No one will judge you at all.

You don't say how old your baby is, for instance, or how much bf you are doing at present. If your baby is still v. young, your midwife should help too.

Good luck - hope it resolves comfortably for you.

pugh Sat 10-Sep-11 11:19:10

Not worried re judging. Ds is 4 days old and eg fed 20:00-00:00, then gave in. Then 02:00-0400. And by that I mean non stop side to side and he still kept rooting.

Will try to ring someone.

Mampig Sat 10-Sep-11 11:26:23

Do speak to someone but at 4 days you could prob just stop cold turkeyconfused. Savoy cabbage leaves in your bra, breast pads and painkillers. You will be engorged for a couple of days but then u will get relief. I think any type of feeding or expressing will just prolong things at this stage. Mw will help at this stage though. Good luck!!

Purplebuns Sat 10-Sep-11 16:28:37

No not cold turkey!
Usually you are advised to drop a feed at a time, but I think talking to someone is very important as you need help managing it properly. Your local surestart is a good place to look for a group/help.
I have never had mastitis in all the time of feeding but nearly did when giving up so I might be overcautious.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 10-Sep-11 16:51:59

Agree with all the others, talk to a bfing counsellor about how to top and how to deal with the cracked nipples as well.

The number of the National Breastfeeding Hotline is 0300 456 2421 but there are others available. If you need them just ask.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

chillikat Sat 10-Sep-11 19:41:45

pugh before you give up I found night 4 the hardest - I was in tears to the midwives helpline at 5am after constant feeding but 5 and a half months on I'm still feeding (though not had to deal with cracked nipples). Good luck.

pugh Sat 10-Sep-11 20:30:46

Hi everyone. Excellent suggestion to speak to midwife. Advice was effectively cold turkey. I know day 4/5/6 is hardest from dd. With her I gritted my teeth and cried for weeks before it became easier. And didn't have a crack that time.I promised myself I won't go through that again. Especially not after she has had to watch me cry as I tried to latch him on. The experience with her almost put me off the idea of anymore kids at a point months on.

So currently DH is away purchasing another cabbage, I'm sore as heck, smell like a veggie stall,wearing a v tight sports bra& dosed up on painkillers. Who needs contraception?

Thanks again MN ers. Now need to figure out how much formula/how often etc...

crikeybadger Sat 10-Sep-11 21:25:33

Glad you've had some help pugh, hope you start to feel better soon.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 11-Sep-11 10:37:55

Glad you are feeling better too. Just wanted to say about the formula, its probably best to choose the one stocked in your local shop. That way when its 3ft deep in snow, you know you'll be able to get some. They are all pretty similar too.

Mampig Sun 11-Sep-11 13:12:11

Ah- good luck and feel better soon x

Secondtimelucky Thu 15-Sep-11 22:01:32

Pugh - just saw this. After our chat on the other thread, I just wanted to say I hope you're doing ok now and the worst of the engorgment and discomfort has passed. Enjoy your DS. Also (and please don't take this as a dig at giving up, it isn't meant to be), I hope you can be damn proud that he got colostrum - that was a wonderful and selfless thing you did for him after all the stress last time.

pugh Fri 23-Sep-11 21:10:31

Hi STL. Only just saw your post. We are doing fine and DS is a honey. However, DD a nightmare&just posted on behaviour thread...can't have it all I guess.

Discomfort etc fine but randomly started 'leaking' today. How weird. So happy with our decision and I didnt see your comment as a dig. In fact, it was probably v good that I 'fed' the first while as he was big&probably helped minimise bleeding&uterus to contract. Plus of course the goodness for him(do I sound really selfish now?)

Now to survive the two hear old...top tips welcome. This is one very non positive parent...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now