Talk

Advanced search

Bottle feeding and being sick

(7 Posts)
TruffleTasha Fri 09-Sep-11 17:52:54

I have started my 6 wk old on bottles and combination of expressed milk & formula (aptamile), but I've noticed she is being sick more often ( mostly the whole feed) but this is not after every feed . Is this a sign she does not agree with the formula or is it a case of too much milk? What are the signs that I may need to change formula? Any help would be appreciated smile
Thanks smile

RitaMorgan Fri 09-Sep-11 19:33:40

Could be too much milk - they can't control the flow of milk from a bottle like they can from a breast so it is easy to accidentally overfeed. You could try offering smaller amounts at a time, and see if a dummy will pacify her - if so maybe she just wanted to comfort suck rather than feed.

If that doesn't help, and if she's mostly sick after formula, it could be that she is intolerant to cow's milk - might be worth keeping an eye on it.

TruffleTasha Fri 09-Sep-11 21:14:15

Hi Rita, thanks for your suggestions, I must admit I think it is me feeding maybe too much or as you say miss-feeding, when all she wants is a comfort suckle, but I'm trying to stay away from using any dummy, I wonder what else I could use? But I will keep an eye out and see if I can see any patterns smile

Thx

AlwaysRocking Fri 09-Sep-11 21:16:57

If you want to avoid a dummy she will probably be happy sucking on your finger. I gave in to the dummy in the end though as I got fed up of never having a free hand!

RitaMorgan Fri 09-Sep-11 21:19:33

The thing with dummies is - babies need to suck. You either let them suck on a finger, a nipple, a dummy or a bottle, you just have to find which ever one works best for you. With fingers/nipples/dummies they can comfort suck without getting milk, which they can't do with bottles.

thisisyesterday Fri 09-Sep-11 21:20:31

ds1 did that with aptamil, made him really sicky.
sma made him constipated.

hipp organic and cow and gate were both fine!

so you might just need to try a different formula... or more breastmilk if that's an option?

Gastonladybird Fri 09-Sep-11 21:22:11

You can end up with sicky baby due to over doing it on bottle- dd was like this when cluster feeding. Using a finger or moderating how quickly she drank by having a break and winding her helped. I don't remember it being such an issue once she was past 3 months and the mad evening phases .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now