Talk

Advanced search

Bfing newborn while toddler runs around!

(10 Posts)
anniroc Fri 09-Sep-11 11:20:33

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could share some success stories about bfing a newborn with an older child around. I am pg with no2 and DS will be nearly two when I give birth.

I was just speaking to a lady this morning with a toddler and a 5wkold who said she had already weaned her DS onto bottles as he took 1.5hrs to feed and it was impractical with a toddler running around the house.

I bf DS for 9 months, and I intend to feed this one for a long time too, if I can. Can anyone offer some practical tips?

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Fri 09-Sep-11 11:24:13

I have the same gap. Little DD is now 12 weeks, older DD is 2.2.

No problem whatsoever. Make sure everything is safe, but that there are lots of things to keep older one occupied... no issues. Occasionally I have had to carry little one around whilst feeding to make sure older one is safe, and we have a lot of stairs in this house (4 floors, kitchen downstairs from living room) so I do have to do a lot of carrying and veeery slow waiting for older one, but it certainly hasn't affected breastfeeding at all.

Younger DD is a much easier baby, I think this seems to be a pattern with subsequent children, so actually I have found the whole thing much easier, not harder.

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Fri 09-Sep-11 11:26:08

One thing I have felt useful is to buy lots of irritating fiddly toys with lots of bits, eg. shopping basket. In the early days we played lots of games of scattering the shopping around the room and asking for certain items to be put in basket - takes hours and you don't have to move!
Also, CBeebies is your friend!

mawbroon Fri 09-Sep-11 12:18:03

Feeding in a sling was a lifesaver for me. It took a bit of practice, but was definitely worth the effort

Whyriskit Fri 09-Sep-11 12:23:09

DS1 was a little older than yours when DS2 was born (2.8 yrs), but feeding DS2 really wasn't a problem. I had some toys which I only got out when I was feeding and as I got better at it, I could even manage to read a story to him at the same time.
There were times when I had to curtail the feeding ("mummy mummy, I need a poooo!) but generally it was fine. DS2 is now 13 months and we're still going.

anniroc Sun 11-Sep-11 12:37:02

Thanks for all your tips ladies, will try them out. May buy a Thomas boxset as well....

Loopymumsy Sun 11-Sep-11 16:51:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Meglet Sun 11-Sep-11 16:52:57

Cbeebies on all the time. Toddler proofed house. Rice cakes for DC1 to eat.

Zimbah Sun 11-Sep-11 20:38:20

My DD1 was just over 2.5 when DD2 born so a bit easier, but I agree with all the other suggestions, plus get some snacks out ready in case DS is hungry during a feed, so you can just direct him to the plate of (non-messy) food. Also, I've become very adept at bf'ing while standing up/walking around etc. - a sling helps a bit with this although I haven't managed to feed properly hands-free with one.

Charity shops are great for finding cheap toys that you can whip out to entertain the toddler.

thehairybabysmum Sun 11-Sep-11 20:47:35

Agree, this is when you introduce toddler to cbeebies! Also only put telly on when you are feeding to keep the novelty factor grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now