Talk

Advanced search

Dazed and confused about giving up bf.

(9 Posts)
Moodykat Fri 09-Sep-11 03:49:44

Ok, DS2 is nearly 7 weeks old. I have been mixed feeding since getting a uterine infection and thrush in his mouth from the antibiotics. He usually has to have both of my boobs and then has a couple of ounces of formula.
Unfortunately the thrush will not fuck off and my nipples have been burning so badly that I was getting into a right state when it came to feeding time so yesterday only did two bfs and the rest formula feeds. He just slept from 10 until 3 (wow!) and is like a different baby- really smiley and content.
Now I am wondering whether to just give up on the bfing as I don't seem to get any of the benefits as he always needs a top up. I know any bm is better than none for him but do I just continue as I am until my milk dries up? Or do I bite the bullet and give up? Or can the whole situation resolve without agony and hours spent bring? (toddler really makes this hard!)
I keep thinking I'll give up but then can't follow through as I love the cuddles! Oh what conflict. And what a rambling post! Sorry, it is 4 in the morning nearly! Guess I just need some opinions and support as DH just says "you do what you want darling".

DecapitatedLegoman Fri 09-Sep-11 04:36:04

First thing is to see if you are getting the right treatment for the thrush and to make sure that there aren't also latch problems. The thrush should be treated with oral gel for him and cream for your nipples, or tablets for you if you are getting shooting pains in your breasts too.

If you want to continue to feed then you need help now because the top-ups will mean your supply depletes. You can increase it again of course but the longer you're giving formula for the harder that will be.

A breastfeeding counsellor will be able to check the latch and ensure you're getting the right thrush treatment, and they can also talk through the situation with you until you come to a decision about how to proceed. It sounds like you're not so sure about giving up, and it's harder work to turn it around once you've stopped feeding if you have a change of heart, so I'd urge you to get some RL help ASAP. Good luck, whatever you decide smile

Moodykat Fri 09-Sep-11 07:49:37

Thank you for your reply! I know I should get RL help. Will look into it today.

Mampig Fri 09-Sep-11 09:20:36

Just for info I went thru same conflict in my head and dh was the same- whatever... Looking back I wanted him to tell me to keep bf as so good for baby. In the end I made up my mind and stuck with it- again loving the cuddles!! I'm so glad I did!! Now I didn't have the medical probs u are having but it sounds to me like u want to keep bfsmile. RL help is certainly the best way forward- keep demanding till u get it sorted in the best way possible for you smile

RitaMorgan Fri 09-Sep-11 10:52:33

Thrush is horrible - we've had it twice, both times after anti-bs, and it is a bugger to get rid of. Daktarin oral gel for the baby, cream for your nipples, maybe a course of fluconazole for you and keep an eye out for a thrush nappy rash too. Everything has to be treated simultaneously and you must hot wash bras and muslins, and sterilise bottle teats and dummies too.

First time we had it it took about 8 weeks to get rid of because I kept treating different things one at a time. Second time it was gone within a week because I knew what to get and how to treat everything all together.

Good luck!

Cosmosis Fri 09-Sep-11 11:17:49

You need this leaflet about thrush treatment.

Moodykat Fri 09-Sep-11 15:45:02

My Dr has said the only thing he can have is Nystatin. Is that not true?

Cosmosis Fri 09-Sep-11 16:42:32

No, that leaflet is the thrush bible, print it off and take it to your dr.

RitaMorgan Fri 09-Sep-11 16:52:57

Nystatin is the least effective treatment. Daktarin gel has a warning on it about not being suitable for babies under 4 months due to the choking risk (if you squeeze a glob into their mouth) but as my GP said, just squeeze a bit on your finger and rub it round their mouth. The GP can prescribe it for any age, it's just you can't buy it over the counter for a baby under 4 months - my ds had it at 11 days after nystatin did nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now