Talk

Advanced search

returning to work: do I need to express for my comfort?

(13 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Thu 08-Sep-11 21:57:11

I am returning to work when my twins turn 1 year. they still (11mo) feed quite often through the day (3-5 times). they will be in nursery, I am happy for them to have cow's milk there and bf the rest of the time (and weekends). friends' opinions have ranged from I will probably need to express to I will need to express 5 times a day to avoid exploding. I was hoping not to have the express at all. we went 9am - 1pm today with no feeds and I didn't feel at all full.

what are your experiences?

HarrietJones Thu 08-Sep-11 22:02:54

I can get away without it at all. Dd3 is 11m.
My problem is I work with children & babies set me off. If it wasn't for that I think I'd be ok.
Ive been back a week & take stuff in case

MamaChocoholic Fri 09-Sep-11 08:45:49

thanks HJ, good to know. am thinking I can take a muslin, then hand express if I do get too uncomfortable, but would rather not take all the pumping paraphernalia.

greeneone12 Fri 09-Sep-11 09:56:48

HarrietJones how many feeds were you doing before you went back? I have been wondering this as my DD has 4 feeds a day.

bamboostalks Fri 09-Sep-11 09:58:39

I have no issues in a 10/12 hour day and ds is 11 months. He finds 3-5 times a day when I am around.

bamboostalks Fri 09-Sep-11 09:58:58

feeds even.

HarrietJones Fri 09-Sep-11 10:04:39

2-3 during the day. Plus breakfast, supper & all night!

Cosmosis Fri 09-Sep-11 11:43:40

Depends I think mama. You might need to a little bit for the first few days, but you might not. How long is a piece of string? wink I certainly wouldn’t bother taking a pump as you want to effectively drop those feeds during the day and pumping will make your body think you are still feeding. Take plenty of breast pads though! I found I got letdowns when I was thinking of DS when at work as I was missing him.

metalelephant Fri 09-Sep-11 12:48:30

...you breastfed twins for almost a year...wow...I'm ever so impressed!

Beamur Fri 09-Sep-11 12:50:34

I took my pump to work for a couple of days just in case, but found I barely needed it and my body soon regulated itself. I was working 4 days and bf as normal on the other 3 without a problem.

MamaChocoholic Fri 09-Sep-11 15:15:34

thanks all, seems I may be ok without grin will wear breastpads (good idea!), and will borrow a friend's handpump just in case, but hopefully won't need to use it.

metal - please don't be too impressed. it really has been easier in many ways than bf my first ds. perhaps we got lucky, but although twins are harder work generally, bf them is not necessarily a big deal smile

metalelephant Fri 09-Sep-11 15:17:30

I'm sure you're right but I still think it's brilliant that you did it! Good luck with going back to work smile

MamaChocoholic Fri 09-Sep-11 15:19:23

thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now