Talk

Advanced search

is there a consensus on breastfeeding and alcohol?

(13 Posts)
TeacupTempest Thu 08-Sep-11 15:05:22

I suspect not but I am planing on BF if I can and as I enjoy a glass of wine (or 3) I want to be as informed as possible. I have read conflicting things on google searches so thought I would ask here.

EauRouge Thu 08-Sep-11 15:35:09

The rule I've always been told is that if you're safe to drive then you're safe to feed but I don't know how official that is. Kellymom is a reliable source of info as is LLL. I have been BF for nearly 3 years and have enjoyed a couple of bevvies now and again, although now I find it just makes me fall asleep. hmm

RitaMorgan Thu 08-Sep-11 15:47:19

The amount of alcohol in your milk is the same as in for blood - very small. If you're sober enough to be handling a baby, you're sober to be feeding it. If you're so drunk you're likely to drop or roll on the baby, don't feed it grin

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Thu 08-Sep-11 15:48:40

What Rita said.

What Rita said.

However I did end up feeding DS2 when I was quite drunk a few weeks ago. As a one off I'm not concerned. It was either feed him or give him semi-skimmed from the fridge. As he was only 5 months at the time I decided boozy milk was the better option!

And the amounts that get through are really, really small. And you do not need to pump and dump, that is another myth.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 08-Sep-11 16:21:34

Don't know if this is true but I was once told that, for the alcohol levels to cause any damage to your baby you would be dead from alcohol poisoning anyway.

Agree with Rita.

When you say that you expect not, is there anything about bfing that is particulary worrying you? Have you seen this, this, this and recommended books and books to avoid, all on Kellymom? Would also recommend finding out where your local bfing support groups are and going along for a chat before LO arrives.

Cosmosis Thu 08-Sep-11 16:39:22

I think the suspect not was referring to the consensus re bf and alcohol?

I have a couple of times given DS ebm in the night rather than bf to be on the safe side. The beauty of nightweaning is no longer having to hesitate over that extra glass of wine though grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 08-Sep-11 19:54:17

Ah I see, whoops. No OP think you'll find the consensus on here is have a glass or two. Bfing is great, there is nothing to avoid, including alcohol smile

TeacupTempest Fri 09-Sep-11 10:39:11

Thanks for the replies and sorry about the confusion. I have every intention of breastfeeding I was just dubious about finding a consensus on the subject of alcohol as when alcohol and pregnancy are talked about it always seems to become quite emotive and heated.

Good to know I can relax just a little when little one finally arrives.....although as you say I will probably be thinking more about sleep for quite a while to come!

metalelephant Fri 09-Sep-11 12:57:29

i find it confusing really. I have been reading the food of love (lovely book) and it states that alcohol can inhibit milk production. Most scary is what it says at the end of this page kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

Daily consumption of alcohol (1+ drinks daily) has been associated with a decrease in gross motor development (Little et al 1989)

I so desperately hope to be able to breastfeed directly this time (rather than express) and wont be drinking at all for the first few months at least. Then maybe the occasional drink but not every day.

metalelephant Fri 09-Sep-11 12:58:58

the food of love

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 09-Sep-11 14:10:55

Don't worry about the confusion, that was totally me. My hormones are all over the place at the mo and I'm having enough difficulty understanding people talking to me face-to-face with my crazy brain. Think I should probably give MN a rest until it settles down a bit smile.

Yesmynameis Fri 09-Sep-11 14:52:51

Birth to Five says - one or two units, once or twice a week.

So I take that to mean, half a glass of wine a night is no big deal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now