Talk

Advanced search

BF baby refusing bottle ... any success stories?

(17 Posts)
jesstar Thu 08-Sep-11 11:18:56

Hi, My 20-week old bf DD has been refusing a bottle for the past 6 weeks or so, although I haven't been trying consistently until this past week as I am returning to work in Oct. I have tried EBM and formula, different positions, temperatures, OH and mum have tried etc etc. I am going longer each day with denying her access to the breast as I want to stop bf now and thought she would eventually drink from the bottle/cup.

It isn't working.

I was wondering how long it took other babies to finally 'get it' and whether I should go cold turkey now as this slowly slowly approach isn't getting me anywhere. Along with the sleep deprivation I'm suffering (3-month growth spurt merged into 4-month sleep regression and still waking every hour), I'm extremely stressed and upset, and we're both in tears every day (and sometimes night). Please let me know how others have got on and give me some hope (or otherwise). Thanks.

HumptyDumpty1 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:32:40

My DD was a big bottle refused until last week. For about 7 weeks we've been giving her formula in a cup with her meals and it took her a while but she started o enjoy it, then I tried at night when she was v sleepy an she took a bottle fine of formula (the monkey!) we did that for a few nights then dp started to try through the day, stood up and rocking her while giving her it an she took it. She now takes a bottle every feed and a cup and lunch, although the only way she takes it from me is when She's lying on her play mat! It's definitely a working progress grin

HumptyDumpty1 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:33:42

She's 24 weeks on Sat smile

jesstar Fri 09-Sep-11 09:46:11

Thanks HumptyDumpty1, I have been trying consistently for over a week now with no success. I think a couple of ounces trickled in at the start but she knows what we're trying to do and yesterday went 7.5 hours without a drop going in! Haven't tried the dreamfeed yet as I don't want her screaming the house down in protest at night as it'll take ages to settle her again, but will give it a go if nothing else works.

HumptyDumpty1 Fri 09-Sep-11 09:50:36

Have u tried a cup/beaker? It might help for her to have it in a way that's completely different from bfing

lilham Fri 09-Sep-11 09:51:07

You have my sympathy. I'm going back in 7 weeks and my 24wo DD is also a bottle refuser. It's so frustrating she used to take a bottle! I'm having my head in the sand atm and haven't started dropping day feeds to formula. sad

An0therName Fri 09-Sep-11 10:04:47

hi - some people have had sucess with a cup - also your baby will be what 7 months in Oct - if she doesn't have milk in the day it won't be the end of the world - loads of people continue BF morning and evening for ages and my DCs didn't have a bottle - they would take one but didn't want in in the day from quite young -

suzym1984 Fri 09-Sep-11 14:40:54

Hi! My DS was the worlds biggest bottle refuser! What workes for us was to just offer the bottle at every feed, and if he refused it wait 1/2 hr before bfeeding him (so he didnt associate crying with then getting booby!). I also let him play around with an empty bottle as he would stick it in his mouth no problem, which I think got him over the barrier of having a teat in his mouth. We had weeks of this with me crying every day so I know how you feel, I kepty saying that I was "trapped" and totally regretted bfing at all!

Anyway, one day he just started sucking the bottle, and that was it! He only got bottles from then on.

Remember that in a few weeks you will be starting solids, so she might be more receptive to a bottle when she is used to having spoons, food etc in her mouth.

Also, have you tried the cups with straws? My DS can drink quite a large amount of liquid from this, as the sucking action is similar, but it seems different enough to a bottle for him. It also has handles so he can hold it himself! Mine is from the poundshop!

Oh, and also try a different hold to the BF position, i.e. facing out. At first my DS would only be fed while sitting in his bouncy chair (contrary little thing!).

Anyway, good luck! Try not stress and remember that you are the boss (although it often doesnt feel that way!)

suzym1984 Fri 09-Sep-11 14:41:36

Oh, and try not to worry about your return to work. That is whats going to happen and DD will adapt!

MangoMonster Fri 09-Sep-11 14:52:12

My ds never accepted a bottle but was great with a free flow cup.

flowerfairy Fri 09-Sep-11 19:34:08

MyDD was a bottle refuser until last weekend. We tried from approx 6 wks to have a bottle. Spent lots of money buying different sorts of bottles-avent, tommee tippee, another sort, tried a variety of cups to no avail. Went back to work when she was 19weeks (part-time) wanted to continue bfing but needed bottle for grandparents but wouldn't still!!!! MIL not impressed. Theydid manage to feed her milk off a spoon for the 2 weeks before we had summer hols. Decided better just try at weekend before i returned to work on Mon- Hey Presto she guzzled 2 -3oz, DD now 28wks. Like suzym says it may be the introduction of solids that has brought around the change. She now has a bottle once a day at the same time and i'm hoping that i may even be able to venture out for an evening now.
So it hastaken a long time, but persevere and i hope things work out for you and your DD.

Annpan88 Fri 09-Sep-11 19:54:48

My son is 6 months in 4 days (where does the time go) and I've been trying on and off but will be starting evening work soon. DH and I did his normal bedtime routine except DH just fed hom in the chair in his room. I had only expressed 3 ounces as I didn't know if he would take the bottle and I didn't want to waste any so I finished his feed with a bf (that was a bit rambly).

Am gonna express enough tomorrow so DH can hopefully settle him ( maybe 8 ounces)

So my advice I guess, after many failed bottle attempts is maybe try him in the evening before bed when everythings a bit calmer? Good luck

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Fri 09-Sep-11 23:09:20

Well yes I do!

DS started nursery last week, he's 9 months old. He hasn't taken a bottle for months and months and never taken formula. I kept trying with a bottle and it wasn't as though he was refusing, he just couldn't work it out. I was worried but work was looming so I just figured he'd eat enough at nursery to keep going and feed in the morning and evening. Nursery said they would try with a bottle.

First day he took nothing, was fine, had a good feed when I collected him. Second day, took two bottles! Maybe he worked out he would have to if I wasn't there? He has taken two bottles ever since, it's only been a week but I am happy he will do it. He had a day with my mum too and a different style of bottle and teat but took it fine apparently.

I wouldn't stress it too much and just see what happens when you're not there.

SarahScot Sat 10-Sep-11 07:21:39

My DD is a bottle refuser too. I went back to work 4 weeks ago when she was 5 months, so she's 6 months now. We have tried 5 different types of bottles, every type of formula, ebm, ebm mixed with formula, different temperatures, different settings, different people giving it to her, feeding her when she's sleeping . . . everything! She will now take 1 or 2 oz from a Breastflow bottle if she's starving but otherwised refuses. Have you tried them?

She still gets enough milk as she gets up every hour to two hours at night to breastfeed - I'm completely buggered!

So . . . no useful advice, but watching with interest!

Good luck.

jesstar Mon 12-Sep-11 13:47:51

Thank you for your help. She has started to take a couple of ounces from a Miss Kitty trainer cup without a valve, it's messy but she does seem to know how to suck from it and isn't screaming the place down like she was the first week. I'm not trying any more bottles now, as I don't want to confuse her too much.

I've ordered a Breastflow bottle (last week when I was at the end of my tether!) and may give that a go when it arrives. Am up every 1-2 hours overnight feeding her but she was like this even before I interfered with her feeding pattern (4 month sleep regression - going on to 5 months ...).

I have also started baby rice as she seems so interested in the food we eat and she enjoys taking a few spoons of it. I want to make sure that when I go back to work she will be familiar with a small amount of solids and even if she has a few ounces of milk while I'm away, I'll be happy.

Worried that she won't get her full quota of milk in 24 hours, but it is what it is. Good luck to those of you in my boat!

lilham Mon 12-Sep-11 13:53:14

Jesstar, how do you get her to use a cup? Do you put her in the high chair or on your lap like bottle feeding? And do you assist it to her mouth or let her get on with it? The reason I asked is that I gave a TT free flow cup to DD and she doesn't understand how to hold the cup properly and tilt it to let the water flow to her mouth. However she loves grabbing one of the handles and either stuff a random part of the cup to her mouth, or fling it off the high chair hmm

jesstar Mon 12-Sep-11 14:20:28

Sorry, it isn't strictly a cup - http://www.boots.com/en/Hello-Kitty-Silicone-Spout-Twin-Handled-Beaker-300ml_1219947/. It has two handles, so initially I gave it to her empty so she would play with it. She automatically would try and get the spout in her mouth, and then I put some formula in and she would first chew on it and gradually realised milk would come out if she sucked. She usually holds the handles and I guide the spout into her mouth holding it from the bottom. Sometimes I hold it myself and she will drink a few sips. I have been holding her on my lap as I would if giving her a bottle, sometimes I sit her in the pram and other times facing outwards while singing Twinkle Twinkle! It's a work in progress!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now