Talk

Advanced search

Antenatel breastfeeding classes?

(12 Posts)
dribbleface Thu 08-Sep-11 09:46:10

Hi all,

37 weeks (almost) with DC2. With DS i breastfed for 3 weeks, he fed well, gained weight, fed every 2-3 hours (all seemed perfect) but was suddenly hit by the most excrutiating pain when feeding. I gave up sad, well i expressed for a day or so to relieve pain, got treated for thrush although not sure it was) and he was not keen on going back to breast (lazy greedy boy!).

I have already gathered the numbers of breastfeeding support groups etc this time, and midwife has given me the lead feeding midwife's contact details (last time HV was away and didn't really know where to go for help)

Our local chidren centre does antenatel feeding classes, what will these consist of, should i go? really would like to feed for longer this time (although will not make myself ill over the decision like last time)

Any experiences of these classes?

lilham Thu 08-Sep-11 10:08:46

I have one with the NCT and I think it's really good. But I think it depends on the instructor leading the course isn't it? Is the sure start centre one really cheap or free? If nothing else, you get to know when the baby clinic is on in the centre and also meeting the feeding MWs isn't it? It'll make it less daunting to call them when you have trouble after birth when you can put a face to the number.

dribbleface Thu 08-Sep-11 10:14:43

It is free, do you have to be a member of NCT to book their's - although most likely too late now.

Think meeting the lead feeding midwife person would be good though, might try to get along to it

greeneone12 Thu 08-Sep-11 10:46:47

I really enjoyed mine as they were really informative and useful although that was at the hospital now Sure Start.

EauRouge Thu 08-Sep-11 13:20:06

Most BF groups are very welcoming to pregnant women so you can go along before your baby arrives. I've never been to any NCT BF groups but I know they are really knowledgeable. LLL groups are really good.

Tempingmaniac Thu 08-Sep-11 13:22:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sargesaweyes Thu 08-Sep-11 19:23:01

DP and I went to NHS one at hospital and it was fantastic! Go especially as free.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 08-Sep-11 20:42:54

For the NCT ones you don't have to be a member but you do have to pay. However, there are reductions available, say if you are on a low income or you can pay in instalments if that helps. Its probably best to phone up and ask what courses they have and what help is available, if any.

Your local Children's Centre one sounds good and there is nothing stopping you doing both.

Also, find out who your local Bfing Counsellors are and give one of them a call. Try your local NCT, LLL, ABM or BFN. A BFC should be happy to talk through your concerns with you for free and might even meet up with you and will be there for you when LO arrives too.

Glad you've got the details for your local Bfing Support Groups, its probably a good idea to go along before LO arrives and have a cuppa and chat, that way they will all be fussing over your new LO when you take them along smile.

Don't forget to put the helpline numbers in your phone as well, then if you need them in the night or in hospital you've not got to search them out.

dribbleface Thu 08-Sep-11 20:51:24

excellent advice, thanks so much. really hope that things work out this time!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 08-Sep-11 20:53:42

Me too smile. Just wondering if you've discovered Kellymom too?

dribbleface Thu 08-Sep-11 21:10:17

not yet. will have a look tomorrow as on phone and can't access links. thanks for all your help.

Bert2e Thu 08-Sep-11 21:36:17

Some BFC and lactation consultants offer these privately -Google your area and see what you can find!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now