Talk

Advanced search

Here we go...

(14 Posts)
pugh Thu 08-Sep-11 09:06:30

I am trying to overcome previous issues with br-feeding. Going ok but only day 3. Putting ds to the breast whenever he so much as stirs. Have had no sleep since his arrival -obviously!

He is defo getting something:lots of dirty nappies;milk streaks on his face but rooting all the time. If DH tries to settle him it's no use cause he just tries to suck on his cheek and I take him straight back to breast.

Anyway. Not so much complaining/despairing(yet!).trying to 'trust myself' but determined not to watch him starve&loose lots of weight(not been weighed since birth;new local policy)

Am I doing the right things? Just cuddling between feeds as he is not for putting down & I'm tryin to bond better than last time.

Thanks everyone!

EauRouge Thu 08-Sep-11 09:12:43

Congrats on your new DS. It sounds like you're doing well so far. smile You must be knackered though, with no sleep. Have you considered co-sleeping? It's brilliant for BF mothers and babies. Here is a good article about co-sleeping if you want to read up on it.

Secondtimelucky Thu 08-Sep-11 09:26:59

Just got wi fi for a few minutes. Congratulations!!!

Sounds totally normal to me. DD2 was exactly like this. She still roots all the time too - though at 3 months it's not always hunger (as demonstrated when you put her to the breast and she ignores it!).

organiccarrotcake Thu 08-Sep-11 09:55:40

Oh definately normal. Do you have a sling? Is it possible to tuck yourselves up in bed for a few days and just snuggle and feed, and get sleep when you can?

All sounds perfect - and congratulations smile

lilham Thu 08-Sep-11 10:04:06

Have you discovered kellymom.com yet? I found this page on nursing a newborn very helpful in the early days.

A fabric sling is godsend for the early days. I have a moby wrap. It's expensive but it saves my sanity! Also have you tried swaddling? He might not object to being put down when swaddled.

Take as much sleep as you can. Get your DH to make you tea, bring you food, and have your feet up.

pugh Thu 08-Sep-11 11:18:40

Thanks. Have a Beco carrier& DH is out walking just now. I'm heading to bed. Also have a home made fabric wrap which I'll start using around house. Will look at Kelly om when neurons actually functioning. At least sounds normal. Not feeling blue (yet) and no feelings of resent (yet!) so trying to stay positive.

Cheers and keep it coming!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 08-Sep-11 15:00:39

go pugh! I did this with ds...just popped him on at every opportunity and it really worked for us. Till about three months when he started objecting to having a boob in his gob constantly, and wanted to do things like look around, and find his hands etc. Cheek! grin

Sounds to me like you are doing brilliantly. Have confidence. smile

pugh Thu 08-Sep-11 15:30:56

Yay for sling suggestion. Fab carb high lunch under a very watchful eye. A.so got an hour's baby free sleep...bliss!

pugh Thu 08-Sep-11 19:25:23

Oh bollocks: a cracked nipple! Advice?.

RitaMorgan Thu 08-Sep-11 19:36:59

Sounds like the latch isn't quite right if you have a crack - can the midwive come and help you with the latch, or maybe see if there's a bf support group near you?

Also, has anyone checked your baby for tongue-tie?

In the meantime, get some Lansinoh cream and slather it on the cracked nipple - try not to let it dry out or it will scab. And take painkillers to feed if it hurts.

lilham Thu 08-Sep-11 21:13:16

If it really hurts because of the crack, try using a nipple shield. A lot of mums on this board have used them. One of the mums in my NCT group did too and is still EBF at 6mo.

Second the lansinoh suggestion. It's like miracle cream for nips.

crikeybadger Thu 08-Sep-11 21:22:09

Or you can buy a dressing called jelonet from the pharmacy, it's used on burns so should help heal the crack quickly. But till then....lots of lansinoh, or breast milk even.

Hope things go well this evening.

pugh Thu 08-Sep-11 22:52:46

Think he 'slipped' overnight. ++ lansinoh on& keeping going to avoid engorgement.checking latch as best i can eachtime.not had chest like melons (yet!) but convinced feeling 'fuller'&some tingling/let down.

Maybe if he starts getting milk things will settle a wee bit...

Thanks again!

crikeybadger Fri 09-Sep-11 11:16:30

Sounds like you're doing brilliantly pugh, keep it up. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now