Talk

Advanced search

Interesting take on breastfeeding

(12 Posts)
TheRealMBJ Thu 08-Sep-11 07:07:18

Jewish parenting blog by bf-ing mum in NYC

Of note:

The rabbis of the Talmud categorized breastfeeding as a chore that women did for their husbands, just like cooking dinner or sewing clothes. As such, wealthy women could escape this task

And

Because breastfeeding was considered a marital obligation, divorced women were no longer required to nurse their children. Instead, the father became responsible either for hiring a wet nurse or for paying the mother to nurse. However, the rabbis worried that a baby old enough to recognize his or her mother would refuse milk from a stranger, and would starve as a result.

Discuss...

Mampig Thu 08-Sep-11 08:02:45

Cultural beliefs can really make u rhink again!!! Be nice to get paid for it though!!! gringrin although my growing baby is payment enufwink

TheRealMBJ Thu 08-Sep-11 08:09:55

I thought it an interesting contrast as typically here, bf is seen as something you do despite the father, that the baby is taking something from the dad. As a feminist, I am uncomfortable with the idea of feeding my child as a duty to my husband BUT it does cast a very different light on bf than what we are used to doesn't it?

RitaMorgan Thu 08-Sep-11 08:11:41

I guess it is coming from a cultural perspective where children belong to their fathers, not mothers.

HippyHippopotamus Thu 08-Sep-11 08:14:04

if its a chore, does that mean it's not allowed on the Sabbath?

TheRealMBJ Thu 08-Sep-11 08:19:13

grin I'm sure it isn't restricted. The article does go on to say it is Also considered a beautiful miracle like the provision of manna etc, etc

TheRealMBJ Thu 08-Sep-11 08:55:56

Is that the case Rita I always thought that in Jewish tradition children are their mother's as her religion determines theirs?

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 08-Sep-11 15:08:59

how odd that it's considered a marital obligation rather than a parental one.

TheRealMBJ Thu 08-Sep-11 15:51:39

It is rather

pyjamalover Fri 09-Sep-11 14:16:43

just because the rabbis of the talmud (men, a very very long time ago) categorise braestfeeding an a certain way doesn't mean it's the cultural belief in the jewish community now. Actually judaism is very positive about BF.

TheRealMBJ Fri 09-Sep-11 14:53:41

Oh, I actually think that this is quite a positive view of breastfeeding, just different to put own, and therefore interesting.

Loopymumsy Fri 09-Sep-11 15:14:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now