Talk

Advanced search

Keep getting let down at work. Help!

(6 Posts)
HarrietJones Wed 07-Sep-11 19:29:46

I have been working with babies & it's stimulating my milk. I was on a visit today when I got v engorged and leaky.
I couldn't express because I was going straight on another one.
Anything I can do?

bonkers20 Wed 07-Sep-11 22:28:53

Can you give some more details? How old is the baby you are expressing for? How long are you apart from your baby? When did you go back to work? How many days do you work? Are you using breastpads?

HarrietJones Wed 07-Sep-11 22:32:35

I work 2.5 days. Dd3 is 11m.Two full days are 8-6 maximum. Went back last week.
Wearing 2 breastpads at a time. Soak through in minutes once it starts.

bonkers20 Thu 08-Sep-11 08:59:03

This sounds hard. I think it's mainly a matter of time. You've only just gone back to work so your supply is still getting used to that. Are you able to express enough during the day.

I'm thinking that your job with babies and home visits maybe doesn't allow for regular expressing - though of course you are entitled to these breaks.

One thing you can do when you feel the letdown start is to firmly press the heel of your hand to your breast. Would you be able to do that?

Are you able to plan your day so that exposure to babies happens just after you've expressed rather than just before.

Also, in the same way it is suggested that you think of your baby when you want to express, maybe actively thinking of non-baby things (like cleaning the toilet or filling the car with petrol) might stop the full let down.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. You could ask LLL, I bet they have some other tips.

readysteady Thu 08-Sep-11 09:06:28

have you tried lily padz breast pads? they are meant to stop milk being released.

HarrietJones Thu 08-Sep-11 16:10:51

Lily pads font seem to work for me and the hand thing doesn't unless I'm really firm which looks weird in public.

If I'm not with babies I could go all day without filling up/expressing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now